Premed 101 Forums

Applying to CaRMS and volunteering

sidi

Hi all!

I have just been accepted into UBC Med and am very excited. I have been volunteering for 3+ years at a local hospital, but am wondering if I should continue. My question is: how important is volunteer history when applying to CaRMS? What exactly factors into the whole process?

I am just curious about the whole process and have been researching the whole CaRMS. Started with "what the heck is this!?!? " to "I think I get this, or not?"

Thank you!

Relax, you have 4 years to figure our CaRMS. Yes extra-curricular activities are assessed as part of CaRMS, but you don't need to volunteer at a hospital. If UBC is anything like UofT, you will be bombarded with opportunities to volunteer and get involved. So enjoy your summer and stop thinking about CaRMS!

If you enjoy it you can try and keep it up.

Having these kinds of things on your CV is less important in the carms process than it is in the med school admissions process. So I wouldn't keep doing it if the only reason you want to keep it up is because you want it to look good for carms.

What could be a better use of your time for carms purposes during med school, is doing research in your field of interest, observerships/electives in your field of interest (and even various other fields to show that you explored and are sure about your pick). There will be many opportunities to volunteer as a med student.

Hi

I am fresh doctor graduated from middle east university and i want to know if i am eligable to apply for Carms since i am non-canadian citizin...

You need to go to the carms.ca site, click on Main Residency Match and then click on Eligibility.

You would also need to look into licensing exams etc. on the Medical Council of Canada site, which is http://www.mcc.ca/

Thank you very much for your response, i read carms website and found this sentence but i didnt understand the meaning of it "Note that almost all jurisdictions require that applicants applying to provincial Ministries of Health funded positions are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents"

my questions is: Does this sentence mean that all the applicants should have permenant residance or citizinship in order to apply to the residency program or what?

Hi Marabd,

Yes. If you are applying through CaRMS, both CMG and IMG streams require that you be a Canadian citizen or Permanent resident. I am not aware of any exceptions to this rule. Some countries (particularly Saudi Arabia) will fund residency training positions independent of those offered through CaRMS for their own residents, on the condition that these residents return to their funding country once the residency period is over. (In such a scenario, these residents are not Canadian citizens/Permanent residents.) However, as far as I'm aware, CaRMS is for Canadian citizens/Permanent residents only.

Kate

Archived