Premed 101 Forums

Police Records check shows traffic accidents?

Yesterday I was driving back from the airport and drove off the 401 into a stone retaining wall and totalled my car. The police officer charged me with careless driving. Now I have to go get a police records check and I'm wondering if that will show up on it and if so, if anyone cares. I'm kinda freaking out here (not to mention, very sore).

Yesterday I was driving back from the airport and drove off the 401 into a stone retaining wall and totalled my car. The police officer charged me with careless driving. Now I have to go get a police records check and I'm wondering if that will show up on it and if so, if anyone cares. I'm kinda freaking out here (not to mention, very sore).

Ok, first Ouch, ouch, ouch......I hope you are ok!

As hopefulMed says:

A conviction for careless driving is not a criminal offence and therefore does not result in a criminal record but you can expect your insurance to go up.

One of the joys of having a lawyer in the house. I just had a 15 minutes (very much unneeded) conversation about it with him about the differences. I wonder if med students sound like that discussing small differences in physiology - I just got up and now feel like I need to go back to bed :)

Japlanet, I think you will be ok since McMaster only requires a check of the CPIC for the following:

All records of criminal code (Canada) convictions

All pardoned sexual offences

All records of convictions under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act

All records of the convictions under Narcotic Control Act

All records of convictions under the Food and Drug Act

All undertakings to enter into a Surety to Keep the Peace

Any Restraining Orders issued under the Criminal Code (Canada) or the Family Act

All outstanding warrants and charges.

I think from the above list the last line may be the only place where they may squeeze in the infringement of the Highway Traffic Act.

Additionally, if it shows up on the records check, the admissions office will review it and I doubt that they will take any action against you.

So all in all, I am sure it will not be a problem.

Ok, thanks. The charge was reduced to 'failure to remain in lane' since what actually happened was that one of my tires blew out and I lost control of the car. Amazingly, I walked away from the wreck with bruises and besides being quite stiff I'm fine.

My insurance rates are likely hosed but we'll see once I get a new car.

The thing is that their wording is so confusing.. a criminal record check is alot different from a police record check the latter of which can include any incidence that you have had with the police (even those that you're not aware of). But from reading the "I agree" statements I think they're only looking for criminal records.

Very seldom will they keep the reckless driving.. I had a crash during winter and the cop actually told me, you need to fight this because it is not reckelss driving. I have to charge you with it because it is the only thing I can do. So.. glad you're okay though!

With the valued comments of Hopeful Med, able legal advice of rmorelan and bonito23, with the common sense approach of WaveSense, you will be fine japlanet. You are in the equivalent position of the patient who said, “Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated”.:) Do you need a lift?:P

Archived