Premed 101 Forums

File evaluation: regrets post interview

Hey everyone,

For those of you who had an interview and got rejected, what were your NAQ, AQ, interview scores?

Does the MCAT factor into the AQ score?

I got average scoring for the interview, 21.20 AQ and 17.03 NAQ = 38.23

Wondering if I should spend time to improve my NAQ or to rewrite the MCAT... which was a VR9 PS11 BS12 writing:M.

Does UBC still offer to meet with students to discuss their files? I plan to email them to ask this. My bro says they did when he was applying 5 years ago but isn't sure now. Also he did say people with worse mcat scores have gotten in but It'll be difficult when applying to other schools though.

Thanks for your input! Don't be discouraged if you've been rejected! It took my bro 3 tries to get in med but he's now in the residency of his first choice =).

Hey everyone,

For those of you who had an interview and got rejected, what were your NAQ, AQ, interview scores?

Does the MCAT factor into the AQ score?

I got average scoring for the interview, 21.20 AQ and 17.03 NAQ = 38.23

Wondering if I should spend time to improve my NAQ or to rewrite the MCAT... which was a VR9 PS11 BS12 writing:M.

Does UBC still offer to meet with students to discuss their files? I plan to email them to ask this. My bro says they did when he was applying 5 years ago but isn't sure now. Also he did say people with worse mcat scores have gotten in but It'll be difficult when applying to other schools though.

Thanks for your input! Don't be discouraged if you've been rejected! It took my bro 3 tries to get in med but he's now in the residency of his first choice =).

I don't think MCAT really matters. My boost up my MCAT 3 years ago, but it didn't really help in the past two cycles. with that being said, higher MCAT score wouldn't hurt.

I think improving your AQ and NAQ scores would be a good idea.

________

Blonde_Sin

at ubc mcat is looked at as a tie-breaker or if you got really low (something like <=7) then it'll get flagged. it's better to spend that time and money on improving AQ and NAQ and interview skills. That being said, if you plan to apply to ON/US schools, you should redo your mcat because that score probably won't even make the initial screening at most schools (aim for 10's).

Hi Everyone,

I have similar stat and I got rejected this year. I was wondering when you say increase the AQ and NAQ scores - what would be considered a competitive score? Obviously if we can get 25/25 that would be great but I know that's not really possible... any ideas?

I heard that 85% should be the magic number as well...but is that overall, prereq, last 60 or everything???

I had 78 prereq 80 average and 83.8 last 60 credits.

I do know people who had AQ scores drop from last year with same grades so I think it also depends on who you're competing with year to year...same goes for NAQ i think...

smilevirus: I also want to know what are competitive scores for AQ and NAQ that's why I wanted to ask what the NAQ/AQ scores were for those who were rejected post interview.

I heard that 85% should be the magic number as well...but is that overall, prereq, last 60 or everything???

I had 78 prereq 80 average and 83.8 last 60 credits.

I do know people who had AQ scores drop from last year with same grades so I think it also depends on who you're competing with year to year...same goes for NAQ i think...

smilevirus: I also want to know what are competitive scores for AQ and NAQ that's why I wanted to ask what the NAQ/AQ scores were for those who were rejected post interview.

Before it was 85% for last 60 and overall for 25/25.

Pre-req is considered after interview, but no one knows how much weight is put into post-interview evaluations unfortunately.

MCAT does matter.

I got 25/25 for AQ and 20.1 NAQ last year (which is not bad) and still got rejected, because I got a 6 in VR (11,6,10 P), but this year I got accepted to VFMP with almost an identical application except for an improvement in MCAT score (14,10,11Q).

In my opinion, MCAT does matter.

Thanks for your post.

MCAT does matter.

I got 25/25 for AQ and 20.1 NAQ last year (which is not bad) and still got rejected, because I got a 6 in VR (11,6,10 P), but this year I got accepted to VFMP with almost an identical application except for an improvement in MCAT score (14,10,11Q).

Yea, thanks for the post. Hmm, so the MCAT does have an impact on the application, huh?

So, it seems like even if AQ + NAQ Score is 45, you need high MCAT to get accepted. I wonder why UBC Med don't have a set minimum score then.

Ritalin: I think your NAQ score is stellar - for some reason I can't seem to get it up there. Is there specific way that you have worded your NAQ activities?

MCAT does matter.

do you think your interview could have improved? Did ubc tell you that you specifically got rejected because of you mcat verbal???

that's pretty interesting...thanks for sharing. You used the same references as well?

I think I remember there was a guy on this forum who had verbal 6 who got in so its not impossible, but extremely rare.

Archived