Premed 101 Forums

MMTP applicants?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum & hoping to discuss the med school application process. To let you know a bit about my background, I have an undergraduate and graduate degree in nursing (MN in advanced practice). I also work for the CF as a RegF NO. I'm applying to medical school this fall, hopefully through MMTP. I'm applying to Dal, Ottawa, and Calgary. Is there anyone out there with a similar story? I also was hoping for some suggestions for MCAT prep to someone with a weak physical sciences background. I did the Kaplan course, and did worse on PS on the actual MCAT then I did on the Kaplan diagnostic (ouch, but I did get the $ back). So I'll be rewriting this August. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

I've just got into Ottawa MMTP. The process is quite long, and you need to run two applications at once (Med School and MMTP). However, it's all manageable. I did find it a bit lonely as there is not much guidance and there aren't that many of us out there.

PM me for more help. I'm in Ankara at the moment :cool: but will be back in Ottawa next week.

Im the same as Eng2doc. Just got in Ottawa also through the MMTP process. Yes it might look scary at first the 2 application at the same time, but honestly its easy to manage. I was able to do my full time job as divisional officer, attend 2 bio and 2 org chem classes in university and do the med school and MMTP applications. I still had LOTS of time left to have activities and go out with my friends. I have a very good chief at work to lead the guys when I'm away, that helped a litlle ;)

Dont let the process scare you, just go with the flow and respect the deadlines, before you know it all your paperwork will be in and you will be attending med shcool in the next year. I had very litle guidelines, and honeslty you dont need much more then the few CFAO's, DOAD's and watch out for that MMTP 2010 Competition message, thats a lot of your info right there!

Cheers and PM if you want more help. Give it a shot, if you are really commited to geting into med, its a great opportunity.

I just got in at Dalhousie under MMTP.

What are your stats like? You probably don't have to worry about ECs and experience in a health care setting...

If the PS portion of the MCAT is the only thing holding you back, I recommend doing as many of the AAMC practice tests, under real conditions, as possible. I used the Examkrackers books and they did a good job of presenting the essential info. The MCAT doesn't go much deeper than F=ma or PV=nRT anyhow. My results really improved once I focused on overall test strategies, as opposed to trying to answer every question.

My only other suggestion is to not neglect your military file. The MMTP was actually restricted to 12 candidates this year. I don't know what the evaluation criteria were, but everyone I've talked to seemed to be have outstanding PERs, operational experience and a good second language profile.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Hey,

Thanks for the info. For my stats my undergrad GPA is 3.85 straight, and my Grad is 3.80. I figured Dal was my best shot since we've been posted here for 4 yrs and I don't need any additional courses. For the MCAT, I missed the mark in PS and I'm rewriting in August. Now I'm looking at Ottawa too- I only need one course which I'm taking through Athabasca. For the military I was on Roto in 2007 and I have a bilingual profile. I think I'm a reasonably competitive candidate.

Yeah, I heard the competition was steep and that they were thinking about scrapping the supernummary seats. Lucky for me, they're keeping them at least one more year! Please PM me if you can think of anything else that'd be helpful. I have a friend who just finished first year med at OttawaU through MMTP, and for the person going to Dal I know pretty well all of the CF docs in HFX, and quite a few of the residents & clerks too. Let me know if you want a contact. Cheers!

I've been turned down by all universities that i've applied.

I was waitlisted by the MMTP board, so there is at least an improvement since last year.

Next year will be my year. I'll redo the mcat and like Minderbinder told me once, "i'll go to to whatever university that demonstrate love to me!" I just have to improve my english by then.

Have you applied to the Quebec schools with reserved MMTP seats? Or Ottawa U? Or is there some reason you want to go to an English school? Where did you apply? And what does that mean to be 'waitlisted' for MMTP. I know of situations where people are picked up for MMTP, but didn't get into medical school....Just curious And nosy too :D

The information that Chantal posted contradicts what I've been told by Admissions at U of Ottawa and LCol Russell. My understanding is that there are now 4 supernummary seats for MMTP at Ottawa, 2 at Dal (and 2 at 2 respective french schools in Quebec). I was told that the seats exist for those military applicants that are competitive enough for the schools (i.e. meet or exceed the application criteria) but may not necessarily be selected in the general pool. I've never heard of anyone being waitlisted for MMTP either for the selection board or for the seats at the actual medical school. If you can't get in a supernummary seat you would not have a prayer of admission in the general applicant pool. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but its true.

I do know that the program has gone from hardly anyone applying to being super competitive. They are looking at eliminating the supernummary seats (but I've confirmed that they will be available for 2010) and they've already made changes to who can apply for MMTP making it much more challenging. For the first time I can remember, the CF has enough military physicians going through school. Good luck to all, and if anyone has heard other then what I've posted please share! I spoke to Randy a few months ago.

There will be only 4 supernummary seats in Ottawa in 2010. Dal is dropping from 4 seats to 2 for the 2010 cycle. This is part of their plan to reduce or eliminate the seats. What Dr Russell was refering to in that quote is military members (MMTP) getting in to schools that don't have the supernummary seats, like Mac, U of T, U of C, and NOSM (all schools that have recently accepted MMTPs via the general stream). Not getting accepted to MMTP absolutely affected you being waitlisted by U of O. Why would you even apply for a MMTP seat that you are not eligible for? Oh, and every single MMTP applicant to the University of Ottawa(even those who are ineligible apparently) is automatically given an interview.

Likewise, I know a candidate whose MMTP application was originally rejected, then got picked up after he was offered a seat at Mac. As for releasing and applying for MOTP, that is a really bad idea. I'd be extremely suprised if someone released from the CF and then got picked up for MOTP, unless maybe they were reserves, but even then it runs contrary to the retention issue which is a huge reason why MMTP exists. Also, the 2 years past qualification requirement will be there on the next message too.

PS I do call him Randy, I knew him when we were both at NDMC

Good evening all,

First, congratulations to those accepted into their respective schools this year, the door appears to be closely rapidly on the MMTP program, but if you're in you're in, so good show and God's speed!

Like mildoc1 I am also a medical school applicant for the class entering in 2010 and have an equal need for information, mostly from the military side of the process.

Question 1- As many are aware the competition message from last year indicated that due to acute manning shortfalls the modified competition required that applicants must “Have served two...years in the Regular Force after qualifying in the basic level specifications for the officer MOSID” I'm not sure what this means: does this mean completion of Officer DP1 in the applicants MOC (e.g. finished DP1.2 INF and served for two years trained) or simply completion of BOTP (finished IAP/BOTC, and served for two years)?

Question 2-Let us assume that the criteria has changed for the 2010 competition- does anyone have any idea what the new and "more challenging" nature of this process is? It makes planning quite difficult as I intend to apply to a number of schools, on the hope that the mysterious criteria for the 2010 MMTP competition will not disqualify me from the military selection process- and of course if I wait to find out, the deadline for medical school application submissions will have long passed. Meanwhile you all know it costs good money to submit an application, which may or may not be in vain.

Question 3- Has anyone been in contact with Capt J. Flawn-Laforge regarding changes for the 2010 competition?

Thanks everyone, cheers for now.

Question 1- As many are aware the competition message from last year indicated that due to acute manning shortfalls the modified competition required that applicants must “Have served two...years in the Regular Force after qualifying in the basic level specifications for the officer MOSID” I'm not sure what this means: does this mean completion of Officer DP1 in the applicants MOC (e.g. finished DP1.2 INF and served for two years trained) or simply completion of BOTP (finished IAP/BOTC, and served for two years)?

Question 2-Let us assume that the criteria has changed for the 2010 competition- does anyone have any idea what the new and "more challenging" nature of this process is? It makes planning quite difficult as I intend to apply to a number of schools, on the hope that the mysterious criteria for the 2010 MMTP competition will not disqualify me from the military selection process- and of course if I wait to find out, the deadline for medical school application submissions will have long passed. Meanwhile you all know it costs good money to submit an application, which may or may not be in vain.

Question 3- Has anyone been in contact with Capt J. Flawn-Laforge regarding changes for the 2010 competition?

Serving 2 years in your MOSID means you have served 2 years after completing whatever basic qualifications exist in your trade, not after BOTP.

Do not wait for the 2010 message to go out before you start applying to med schools, it will be too late. You do the application processes concurrently.

I have heard that the 2010 message will be identical to the 2009 message. The changes that I know of are a reduction in supernummary seats, since the application eligibilty already changed slightly for the 2009 year.

The "more challenging" aspect means you are now competing against more military applicants for less seats. The criteria the MMTP selection board is different then what med schools look for. The MMTP board is going to look at PERs, deployments, positions held, etc. Good luck, PM me if you have any more questions.

Well... It seems that we are at least three for 2010!!!

Mildoc 1: yes, i've applied to Quebec university, and will do that again next year. But my chance are low in entering a quebec med school, since my first undergrad was quite low. Since, Ottawa will look only at my past 3 years and Dal at my past 2 years, i may be able got get in in one of these iniversity.

McGill may consider my files quite differently. They dont have any seats formilitary, but who knows what may appens...

The next year competition will remain the same, if they dont change it. God knows what NDMC can do But all MOU's for mil seats where renew until 2010... So 8 seats next years, but it is possible that 12 persons will be sponsored, if 4 of them can enter med school without the supp seats.

Wow, bravo pour toi! Je suis complement null en francais (meme si j'ai un profile ;) ). Je serais guerre capable de m'en exprimer assez bien de suivre en cours.

Could've fooled me...

From what I gather, NOSM like francos, but they like you a lot more if you've from Northern Ontario. (Which makes sense considering their mandate)

Hahahahah!!!!!

KAF maybe rural enough. Try next year at NOSM and keep me info. :D

Honestly, i want to do it in english since Quebec university dont reconize usually the applicant background and only consider the CRU, a score made from all undergrad courses and convert depending of the classes strenght, even those done 10 years ago. It penalize me too much because of a fair first undergrad.

Archived