Premed 101 Forums

Med School Grades

you receive a percent score on each exam but it is only for your information. there is no class ranking and no graduation honours. you differentiate yourself with reference letters, extracirricular involvement, dean's letter, and interview. graduation honours would be useless anyway since you graduate after you match to residency. there are various awards and scholarships you can compete for if you want more CV points...

I've heard that med here in calgary is pretty intense (the 3 yr vs 4 yr story). How can one then find time to be active in extracurriculars? Also the awards and scholarships that are being mentioned here...do we need to be on the lookout now (before starting school)..or is it something like grad school where they let us know whenever an award posting comes up?

I've heard that med here in calgary is pretty intense (the 3 yr vs 4 yr story). How can one then find time to be active in extracurriculars? Also the awards and scholarships that are being mentioned here...do we need to be on the lookout now (before starting school)..or is it something like grad school where they let us know whenever an award posting comes up?

Probably has something to do with the old "make time for what's important to you" adage. Just a thought.

That worried me for a bit too, but I agree with 9mAoTo. No matter which school you go to, you'll be overwhelmed with work. This doesn't mean you should give up doing fun extracurriculars, or stop you from being involved.

Maybe I've also succumbed to the idea that my social life may have to take a step down from the priorities list for a couple of years.

Either way, I think it can all be balanced. Just takes good planning and motivation.

come to balance night in august to get a better idea of how to juggle all the different "med school" balls

and to the OP: I can't even begin to explain how bad an idea it would be to have anything but Pass/Fail by the end of year 1 (ie. where we are right now)...

Archived