Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters

Need some advice on picking referees. I have two strong references from profs, but need some help with the third. I could approach a third prof who could (kindof) act as a character ref (I have never taken classes/research with him; just chatted during lunches and such). Alternately I could go with a volunteer co-ordinator I worked under. The problem is that while I've volunteered for a long time (3 years), the old co-ordinator left and I worked one summer with the new one, and this was two years ago. So I don't know how well she remembers me, but she's one of the only ones who could talk about the compassion/volunteerism side of things.

Need some advice on picking referees. I have two strong references from profs, but need some help with the third. I could approach a third prof who could (kindof) act as a character ref (I have never taken classes/research with him; just chatted during lunches and such). Alternately I could go with a volunteer co-ordinator I worked under. The problem is that while I've volunteered for a long time (3 years), the old co-ordinator left and I worked one summer with the new one, and this was two years ago. So I don't know how well she remembers me, but she's one of the only ones who could talk about the compassion/volunteerism side of things.

Since you already have two strong references from profs, why stretch it to 3 and risk getting a weak one? I would go with my volunteer co-ordinator since it presents a broader perspective to the adcoms. Why don't call her up and discuss exactly what kind of things you wish to have put onto the reference?

Archived