Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS Letter System vs Interfolio

Hey guys, just wondering which is the best way to submit.

Here is my understanding of the scenario:

Interfolio: I tell my referees to email their letters to Interfolio and then use Interfolio to deliver the letters electronically to AMCAS, once ALL my referees have submitted their letters to Interfolio.

AMCAS Letters: I tell my referees to create an AMCAS Letter account and upload a pdf version of their letter there (and have the letter id/my AAMC letter with it).

My question is: why not just use the AMCAS Letter system instead of Interfolio if the referee has to upload letters anyways? Is there ANY advantage to using either system (considering I am only applying for schools which use the AMCAS Letter system).

Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks!

This has been discussed around here before.. it's best to use interfolio

1) u can keep your interfolio letters for other years if necessary

2) u can use interfolio to send your letters to those schools that don't participate in the amcas service (a few still don't)

3) a better established system with little to no problems. while amcas's letter service is new and could be buggy

4) also you don't need to wait for ALL the letters to arrive. you can basically order them send to amcas each at a time. and the letter writer can either upload them or mail them the traditional way (including the interfolio request form so interfolio can link the letter to your account easily)

This has been discussed around here before.. it's best to use interfolio

1) u can keep your interfolio letters for other years if necessary

2) u can use interfolio to send your letters to those schools that don't participate in the amcas service (a few still don't)

3) a better established system with little to no problems. while amcas's letter service is new and could be buggy

4) also you don't need to wait for ALL the letters to arrive. you can basically order them send to amcas each at a time. and the letter writer can either upload them or mail them the traditional way (including the interfolio request form so interfolio can link the letter to your account easily)

Wow so you mean that if I'm applying again next year I can just use the same letters that was uploaded onto interfolio this year?

It's tough to say, because last year it was the exception for a school to use the AMCAS service, while this year it appears to be the norm. Last year's applicants used interfolio to collect the letters. Some were sent directly to schools, while a few were sent to AMCAS. The difference is this year the majority of schools are using the AMCAS system.

I personally thought the AMCAS LOR service was untested and unwieldly last year, but it's possible they've improved it.

Aside from that, if you choose to forgoe interfolio, how are you going to send letters to those schools that aren't using AMCAS?

Frankly I don't think a $10 fee is all that much considering the overall costs of this process.

• 4 months later...

Archived