Premed 101 Forums

Help Asap

My parents are pushing me very hard to go to co-op neuroscience at u of t but i want to go to life science at MAc. Is there any chance of doing good in co-op neuroscience? Anyone here go there know? My parents want me to do the co-op or else they will but me off since mac will be much more expensive.

Regardless of if it's possible to do well at U of T, you should tell your parents to fuc|< off and go do what you want. Seriously, tell them to cut the chord. Both are solid options, and neither will bring shame to your family's honor.

Lol well I might not put it as *ahem* bluntly as others may, I agree that you need to do what you want to do. I have dealt with this problem many times over, and eventually whether you do it now or later, you will need to realize that your in university now and are an adult. You are not the child needing to do everything your parents tell you to do, you'r their equal now, not their subordinate.

For some people with (no offense intended) not-so-strong of wills it is hard to get out of the mind-set of doing what your parents want you to do. This is your life not theirs. Society today will critize parents trying to control their children when it comes to sports and who they date, etc, but for some reason many people still make the assumption that parents always know what is best when it comes to schools. They need to let go, and you need to take your independence if you plan on being an adult. Either your a child and will do as your told, or you are an adult, and will decide on your own.

(although being an adult doesn't mean you can't ask for advice)

Think about it as well, if you go into a major at a school you don't want to be at, your enjoyment of your undergrad years will not be as good (if you enjoy it at all) as if you did the program you wanted to.

Lol well I might not put it as *ahem* bluntly as others may, I agree that you need to do what you want to do. I have dealt with this problem many times over, and eventually whether you do it now or later, you will need to realize that your in university now and are an adult. You are not the child needing to do everything your parents tell you to do, you'r their equal now, not their subordinate.

For some people with (no offense intended) not-so-strong of wills it is hard to get out of the mind-set of doing what your parents want you to do. This is your life not theirs. Society today will critize parents trying to control their children when it comes to sports and who they date, etc, but for some reason many people still make the assumption that parents always know what is best when it comes to schools. They need to let go, and you need to take your independence if you plan on being an adult. Either your a child and will do as your told, or you are an adult, and will decide on your own.

(although being an adult doesn't mean you can't ask for advice)

Think about it as well, if you go into a major at a school you don't want to be at, your enjoyment of your undergrad years will not be as good (if you enjoy it at all) as if you did the program you wanted to.

They are just pushing me to U of t neuroscience since it is such a small program and the co-op. But i have heard too many times about the brutaility of U of t in terms of GPA and yet my parents dont listen to me (they believe is great, no substitute for hard work etc..).... sigh.. i m gonna tell me MAc and see wat happens.

i m gonna tell me MAc and see wat happens.

you're gonna tell yourself mac and see what happens?:confused:

ya tell off your parents. if mac is too expensive for them, just tell them you'd cover the difference of the two ;)

your parents have no idea what is required to get into med school. i'd talk to your parents myself and talk some sense into them (i got into UA). pm me if you want to take me up on it.

Hi mikejames,

I am not familiar with the co-op program at U of T but I completed my BSc at McMaster in Bio & Pharmacology in 2004 from life sciences. I thoroughly enjoyed doing undergrad at McMaster and especially enjoyed co-op. You apply to co-op after your 2nd year, so you have a chance to narrow down your interests. It extends your program to a total of 5 years.

U of T is a great school, too. I am currently a graduate student at U of T. Many students do quite well in undergrad.

So you can do well at either school, but if your preference is for co-op, it is available at McMaster.

It is expensive to go away to school, but cost-of-living is lower in Hamilton than it is in Toronto.

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/scce/students/coop/prospective.html

Good luck!

They are just pushing me to U of t neuroscience since it is such a small program and the co-op. But i have heard too many times about the brutaility of U of t in terms of GPA and yet my parents dont listen to me (they believe is great, no substitute for hard work etc..).... sigh.. i m gonna tell me MAc and see wat happens.

Why? Co-op is not the greatest for a premed. First of all you need a killer GPA if you want to do neurosci co-op simply because there isn't much opportunities. And the co-op neurosci kids I know are >3.9, so its damn competitive. Same with psych co-op. Second, the economy is crap, so not much opportunities. Third, its uoft....enough has been said about them. Fourth, co-op means you will be working / taking courses all the freakin' time. Summers, winters, falls, w.e. No break ever. People burn out in co-op. My friend just finished 3rd year neurosci. co-op right now. She had 3.96 1st 2 years. Burned out on the 3rd and dropped to ~3.7x. At least she secured a work term before her GPA dropped!

The only advantage of co-op is that you can gain experience in the work place. But really if you're a diligent little premed then you'll be working in labs anyways. Also, OMSAS treats work done on coop differently; they make you put it under a different section than work experience/research/etc. So even if you did research on your work-term, it doesn't seem as impressive. So whats the point? Well maybe you can pay off you're tuition fees (which are ~$2k higher than you're non-coop counterparts) if you secure a sick work term. But you'll your work your butt off for it (both to get the placement and in the placement). GL

seriously. post your parents' number on here and we'll all f*cking call them up and be like YO WTFFFFFF YOUR BOY AIN'T GOING INTO NEURO COOP BECAUSE IT SUX0RS.

or just pm me their number and i'll do it. i'll be polite and sh*t.

seriously. post your parents' number on here and we'll all f*cking call them up and be like YO WTFFFFFF YOUR BOY AIN'T GOING INTO NEURO COOP BECAUSE IT SUX0RS.

or just pm me their number and i'll do it. i'll be polite and sh*t.

::) Lol thx but they agreed to let me go to MAC (under certain conditions). So everything is looking rosy again.:D. Thx for all ur input guys i really appreciate it.

::) Lol thx but they agreed to let me go to MAC (under certain conditions). So everything is looking rosy again.:D. Thx for all ur input guys i really appreciate it.

hehehehe I think everyones primary point here is that they can no longer "let" you do anything. Effectively now you are an adult, you chose what to do with your own life :)

Good luck with your studies!

hehehehe I think everyones primary point here is that they can no longer "let" you do anything. Effectively now you are an adult, you chose what to do with your own life :)

Good luck with your studies!

Well if they are willing to finance your education at MAC I guess in a way they did "let" you go there. Otherwise, you'd be racking up a nice loan.

Archived