Premed 101 Forums

Applying with a Kin degree.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to MUN Medical School but I have a few concerns and I feel that I'm really unprepared. Basically I'm asking for any advice that could help me get on the right track.

I suppose I should begin with my details:

I'm currently in year two of a Kinesiology degree.

My CGPA is 3.9, and I'm expecting it to stay around there.

I've never volunteered for anything... ever (based upon what I've heard, thats fairly relavent).

I haven't done a ton of biology/chemistry courses.

So, if I'd like to be admitted to Med school at the end of my degree (2 years from now), what would you suggest that I do? Is it too late? Can I still redeem my lazy self? haha.

Thank you, and please feel free to ask any questions that you think are relevant :).

Hey there, fellow kin student here. My first relevant question is what province are you from? There are seats reserved for certain provs, and that will help you out hopefully :).

Secondly, yeah, you definitely should work on your EC's if you really don't have anything. This isn't just to 'pad your resume', but moreso to provide you with the personal growth that will enable you to perform well in your interview and to have an interesting essay. It'd be tough to explain why spending hours upon hours studying in a library is the root of your burning desire to be a doc, lol. Also, don't feel limited to medically related volunteer activities (although you should DEFINITELY have some). If you're interested in politics, join a poly sci club at your uni. Again, though, don't neglect the medical experience side of things.

I'm going to assume you're a maritimes student, and that your 3.9 GPA is on the 4.3 scale. If this is the case, your GPA will definitely be competitive, but won't blow the admission committee away. The reason I say this is so that you won't feel that you can be lax on other aspects of your app because of the fact that your GPA is stellar. Although a 3.9 would be astronomical in any other field of application, it's not much different than most other people when it coms to med apps.

Hey there, fellow kin student here. My first relevant question is what province are you from? There are seats reserved for certain provs, and that will help you out hopefully :).

Secondly, yeah, you definitely should work on your EC's if you really don't have anything. This isn't just to 'pad your resume', but moreso to provide you with the personal growth that will enable you to perform well in your interview and to have an interesting essay. It'd be tough to explain why spending hours upon hours studying in a library is the root of your burning desire to be a doc, lol. Also, don't feel limited to medically related volunteer activities (although you should DEFINITELY have some). If you're interested in politics, join a poly sci club at your uni. Again, though, don't neglect the medical experience side of things.

I'm going to assume you're a maritimes student, and that your 3.9 GPA is on the 4.3 scale. If this is the case, your GPA will definitely be competitive, but won't blow the admission committee away. The reason I say this is so that you won't feel that you can be lax on other aspects of your app because of the fact that your GPA is stellar. Although a 3.9 would be astronomical in any other field of application, it's not much different than most other people when it coms to med apps.

Thanks for the quick reply :). I'm from Newfoundland, currently studying at Memorial... and my GPA is on a 4.0 scale (or thats what I've always assumed, please correct me if I'm wrong).

So you don't think that its too late to start volunteering/enrolling in EC clubs/activities?

You only have 2 summers, starting now, plus one academic year in which to have ECs, volunteering. This is asusming you apply to med school next Sept. Anything you do thereafter is good but will not count for the first cycle in which you are applying to med school. However, you should definitely continue with these activities not only b/c you will enjoy them and you will develop proven leadership, team skills, etc. but also b/c should you not get into med school on your first try, then you will be continuing to build up your non academic activities. Dedication and commitment is a factor, so, e.g., if you go to a hopsital and join their therapeutic recreational therapy program for patients (playing board games, cards, just chatting and keeping them company), perhaps devoting 3/4 hours a week, continue for more than a year, don't stop after a few months. Also, in your courses, is there the possibility to do a course that gives you clinical experience with patients. For example, in one my courses I have done an internship of at least 120 hours working with chronic elderly patients in adaptice exercise for those having strokes, MS, Parkinson's etc. and I learned so much in my relationships with patients and supervisors, and in how to help these patients. I had to prepare for and lead classes, so I developed in so many ways. In my area there is one city that has a volunteer EMS program and so I have devoted literally hundreds of hours responding to 911 calls, dealing appropriately and without discomfort to patient emergencies as first responder. Bottom line, use the summers to advantage and continue during the academic year. Remember, getting into med school is very much a lottery, so be prepared to apply for a few years unless you are very lucky to get in on your first try. Have a Plan B presumably in healthcare so if you don't make it, you will carry on. My Plan B is to get a professional Masters degree in either O.T. or P.T. and do rehabilitation. Good luck!

You only have 2 summers, starting now, plus one academic year in which to have ECs, volunteering. This is asusming you apply to med school next Sept. Anything you do thereafter is good but will not count for the first cycle in which you are applying to med school. However, you should definitely continue with these activities not only b/c you will enjoy them and you will develop proven leadership, team skills, etc. but also b/c should you not get into med school on your first try, then you will be continuing to build up your non academic activities. Dedication and commitment is a factor, so, e.g., if you go to a hopsital and join their therapeutic recreational therapy program for patients (playing board games, cards, just chatting and keeping them company), perhaps devoting 3/4 hours a week, continue for more than a year, don't stop after a few months. Also, in your courses, is there the possibility to do a course that gives you clinical experience with patients. For example, in one my courses I have done an internship of at least 120 hours working with chronic elderly patients in adaptice exercise for those having strokes, MS, Parkinson's etc. and I learned so much in my relationships with patients and supervisors, and in how to help these patients. I had to prepare for and lead classes, so I developed in so many ways. In my area there is one city that has a volunteer EMS program and so I have devoted literally hundreds of hours responding to 911 calls, dealing appropriately and without discomfort to patient emergencies as first responder. Bottom line, use the summers to advantage and continue during the academic year. Remember, getting into med school is very much a lottery, so be prepared to apply for a few years unless you are very lucky to get in on your first try. Have a Plan B presumably in healthcare so if you don't make it, you will carry on. My Plan B is to get a professional Masters degree in either O.T. or P.T. and do rehabilitation. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm faced with the issue of living in one place during the summer, and another during the school year, but I will certainly look into volunteer opportunities with Easter Health, as they govern (not sure if thats the correct word) heath care here as well as in St. John's (where I attend school). Thanks again!

I suppose I should begin with my details:

I'm currently in year two of a Kinesiology degree.

My CGPA is 3.9, and I'm expecting it to stay around there.

I've never volunteered for anything... ever (based upon what I've heard, thats fairly relavent).

I haven't done a ton of biology/chemistry courses.

You are still fine. Start volunteering with a few organizations over the summer. It's fairly easy to do. Go on the MUN volunteering website. They have a list of organizations that are looking for people (Alzheimer's Society, Canadian Cancer Society, ANC etc.). Look through that, see if anything interests you. Call them up and tell them you want to volunteer. It's really that easy. You don't have to go to a hospital or anything. Just get involved in something. (Note: If you do want to go to the hospital start the process early, because it takes a long time to get through all the red tape). In my opinion, volunteering with Eastern Health is not worth the time and effort. You can get much more benefit from volunteering with other agencies.

Try to get involved in some kind of activity to show some leadership. Students clubs can be great for this. MUNSU has a list of all the registered clubs so you can look at them.

As for not having done many biochem/chem courses, don't worry AT ALL. As long as you have done first year chem you are laughing. Biochem courses/degrees is pretty much useless in medicine (despite the fact that every second pre-med thinks it's useful). Even the one biochem course you do in first year doesn't really cover the same stuff you learned in biochem science courses. Med School is like the army. They teach you everything from the very beginning in the way they want you to know it.

You are still fine. Start volunteering with a few organizations over the summer. It's fairly easy to do. Go on the MUN volunteering website. They have a list of organizations that are looking for people (Alzheimer's Society, Canadian Cancer Society, ANC etc.). Look through that, see if anything interests you. Call them up and tell them you want to volunteer. It's really that easy. You don't have to go to a hospital or anything. Just get involved in something. (Note: If you do want to go to the hospital start the process early, because it takes a long time to get through all the red tape). In my opinion, volunteering with Eastern Health is not worth the time and effort. You can get much more benefit from volunteering with other agencies.

Try to get involved in some kind of activity to show some leadership. Students clubs can be great for this. MUNSU has a list of all the registered clubs so you can look at them.

As for not having done many biochem/chem courses, don't worry AT ALL. As long as you have done first year chem you are laughing. Biochem courses/degrees is pretty much useless in medicine (despite the fact that every second pre-med thinks it's useful). Even the one biochem course you do in first year doesn't really cover the same stuff you learned in biochem science courses. Med School is like the army. They teach you everything from the very beginning in the way they want you to know it.

I just googled "MUN volunteer" and I wasn't aware of the Student Volunteer Bureau, thanks! I am actually very interested in applying for something with Eastern Health, but I'll focus my energy on opportunities at the Health Science Center for September, that will leave me with 3 months to prepare and get through all of the red tape! haha.

I'm required to complete one biochem course for my degree... but the only other chem courses that I've done are 1050 and 1051.

Thank you so much for your reply... I feel slightly more optimistic than I did a few moments ago :).

Archived