Premed 101 Forums

cell phone

Sooo my phone died and I am in the market for a new one...

When I was up in TBay for my interview, I found my Telus phone had lousy reception, so I don't want another Telus....What carriers are best in Thunder Bay?

Thanks!

Medgoal

Sorry just to add to that:

TBay tel: has very poor selection of cell phones, but they do have blackberries now. Their priceplans seems to be more costly. However they have really good reception radius and you can pick up signals even when you leave the town for smaller communities (might be helpful).

Rogers: has very good selection of phones (and the iphone). Priceplans are more reasonable and flexible. But once you drive 15 mins outside fot he city, you lose your service - until you hit another service area (sometimes not for hours).

Hope that helps

Sorry just to add to that:

TBay tel: has very poor selection of cell phones, but they do have blackberries now. Their priceplans seems to be more costly. However they have really good reception radius and you can pick up signals even when you leave the town for smaller communities (might be helpful).

Rogers: has very good selection of phones (and the iphone). Priceplans are more reasonable and flexible. But once you drive 15 mins outside fot he city, you lose your service - until you hit another service area (sometimes not for hours).

Hope that helps

Rogers is not only good in TB area, but good across the nation, especially since they've intergrated their networks with Fido.

Unfortunately I would not agree with Oak just yet regarding Rogers having good coverage in the TB area....it only has good coverage right in TBay...once you leave the city and hit the smaller communities, coverage wanes. As well, if you are driving to and from TBay, Rogers does not yet have good coverage between cities and towns in this area. When I inquired recently about Rogers' coverage, Rogers let me know that they will have equivalent coverage to TBaytel as of the end of next year 2010.

Yeah... Rogers uses GSM... which is great in built up areas, but not nearly as good in rural areas.

I'm with Rogers now, so hopefully I can manage... I'm moving to Sudbury (though not accepted to NOSM) end of this summer. Hopefully I can keep Rogers and my glorious plan, haha. :)

T bay tel is definately cheaper if your not getting a PDA....but there are only a couple plans available, whereas rogers you have your choice of pretty mcuh anything...I would go with tbaytel unless an i phone or another fancy phone is a big priority for you. You can deal with people locally instead of calling a call centre in india for customer service, you have better coverage and its generally cheaper. You can also use tbaytel acros the country, (they run on a CDMA network) but I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra roaming fees if you don't have a plan for it... I have rogers now and they are very difficult to deal with if you have any problems and their reception is not too great in thunder bay.

Archived