Premed 101 Forums

MSc in Winter (December)

Hi. Has anyone started MSc in the winter term (in December)? Is there any disadvantages or advantages of staring MSc in the winter term ( in December)?

Would the funding be the same if I start MSc in the winter compared to if I started MSc in the fall (in September)?

in general, it should not affect you if the school you are attending permits non-fall matriculants.

It can be a disadvantage if you need a course that is fall-term only or if you need a full year course that began in the fall. Otherwise, I think it is a good time to start. In a way, it will give you a headstart on the lab work and then when things start settling down in the lab you might have more time to focus on courses when fall term rolls around. Sometimes taking courses and starting lab work can be a bit crazy because everything is so new all at once, but it is indeed doable.

It would be best for you to discuss it with your potential supervisor.

oh, and funding (if coming from a grant) would be prof and grant dependent...they may have already hired all the students they can handle for September entry, so it might be harder to find a lab to work in.

Again...all things to discuss with potential supervisors.

I am able to delay both my OGS and NSERC scholarships until the Winter so those at least are ok for a winter start :)

Is it true that you need over 80% in the last two years in order to apply for OGS and NSERC or can you apply if your average is 79%?

It just becomes a nuisance with your med apps, that's the only concern. I.e. if you start in Dec. 2009, you can't apply to med in fall 2009 (and you bet you'll be tempted to). Then you can't really apply in fall 2010, either, unless you are way ahead with your work so you think you could finish in 1.5 years. So you're losing 2 years of med apps as opposed to just 1 year, as the case would be with a Sept start. Of course, this assumes that you're applying to schools that require you to finish your MSc before you can be accepted.

Archived