Premed 101 Forums

first year grades nosedived (gets out flameshield)

Alright, I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of "use the ****ing search function, this topic was posted x number of days ago" replies, but I've looked through those threads and I don't think this was brought up yet. So, I completely messed up/imploded in my first year of uni (as in low 60s =( sucks) so now I'm re-evaluating my options:

1) go back for second year and work a ****-ton and hopefully pull my grades back up to a respectable average to be eligible for competitive application to Queen's, Western or w/e they are merciful enough to omit first year

problem with this is I also want to be competitive for other health professional programs (pharmacy, optometry possibly), and I don't think those will take too kindly to my mediocre first year record. So now I'm kinda leaning towards option 2:

2) transfer to another uni that's closer, live at home and save money, get a part-time job, retake first year courses, get higher marks second time around. Kinda like hitting the rewind button on the last year of my life, but if only it were that simple I'm sure there will be some kinks with this solution. So should I go with 1 or 2, or option 3 if anyone suggests one, opinions are appreciated, thanks

Your grades will still follow you in option 2. Whenever you apply to a professional school, they require your transcript from ALL academic instituions attended. I don't know much about the other health care professions, but if you think your ship is sunk for those ones, then they're not really an option right from the getgo. So, it sounds like your choices are to pursue an MD from some of the schools that drop a few years. Your only choice now is if you want to pursue that from home or from a uni away from home.

Good luck.

you have your flame shield, so i'm gonna go at it. if you had searched for threads regarding retaking of courses, you would have found your answer pretty quick. searching the threads doesn't mean spending 5 minutes glancing over the "screwed up 1st year threads."

yeah there is a pretty big kink in your plan. Imagine how many uni transfers would happen if you just void your academic history at one school at start up fresh at another. Unfortunately you can't do 'press rewind'.

Don't feel like you're a minority here either. The majority of people screw up first year.

here's my question for you. Why did you get 60s? It's pretty easy for someone to say "im going to work to get my grades up next year"

There's really no way to erase the past.

All the competitive professional programs you've listed will need the transcripts from all of the post secondary institutions you've attended.

future_doc had a very good advice. Move forward.

Find out why you've received a low mark in your first mark, and learn from it.

Do well on your 2nd year.

Option 2 does not work. You need to sumbit all transcripts. Furthermore, there was a pan-canadian agreement signed by many Canadian universities (a couple years ago I think) that lets all marks transfer over when you transfer to another school. Therefore, you keep your crappy year on your new transcript at the new school.

Your option 3 is to combine both options 1 and 2 together. Go closer to home and study like you've never studied before. Bring your marks up to competitive averages. It might be easier to do so at a less prestegous school (med schools dont care what school you come from. Only your gpa matters), or to a place with less distractions.

Alternatively, apply to schools that dont count your first year at all. Dal for example only considers your most recent 2 years. Ottawa heavily weights the later years, so your first year counts very little.

Go with option 1.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Queen's, Western, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, and Sask that can completely/partially forgive a poor 1st year. That's 6 schools.

Learn from your mistakes, pull up your grades, and you still have a chance.

Was is a case of distraction, or, is it that you just cut out to attain high marks in university? If its the former, keep working at it (knowing that you can't mess up again). If its the latter, re-evaluate what you want to do in life.

Morinphen, I really feel for what you are going through. First year is tough and you are in the majority if you struggled accademically. Personally, I was where you are now four years ago. With my first year grades sitting somewhere around a 60%, I juggled these same two options and I chose the latter. I transferred to a smaller school closer to home and redid most of my first year courses not because I failed any but because I felt that a better knowledge base on these basic sciences would allow me to better engage the upper years of my program. Looking back, for me, I feel that this was the right move.

To be honest, first year is the time to recognize that your university career isn't going the way you had expected it to and it is obvious from your post that you are giving it some thought. Maybe a fresh start and some family support is exactly what you need. Applying to medical school is no simple task and having your family at your back for support can be instrumental to your success as I have discovered. It is true that many med schools do look at your first year but with a strong MCAT, you still have many doors open to you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you are out of luck based on this year alone. Schools for the most part recognize that the transition from highschool and living at home to university can take a toll on grades and reflect that in their admissions process.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I wish you the best in your decision. If you would like to discuss things further, feel free to send me a private message.

Regards,

This dude

UWO Meds '13

The only reason why you screwed up in first year is because you may be incompetent for the health profession you are pursuing. Just a thought, ya know... A THOUGHT!

That's a pretty outrageous thing to say. Just because a person screwed up in one year doesn't make them incompetent. If one consistently underachieved for a few years, then ok, but tons of people have gotten in with subpar 1st, 2nd, sometimes even later year grades.

The only reason why you screwed up in first year is because you may be incompetent for the health profession you are pursuing. Just a thought, ya know... A THOUGHT!

I'm in my second year of medical school. I had failed courses in my first and second years. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up.

ahhhh yeah...... a bitter, somewhat silly thought, but yeah a thought. Tons of med students did poorly in one year, particular the first. Even the schools have recognized this doesn't mean you couldn't be a good doctor and provided a number of ways to recover.

LOL at this. I think your assumptions and generalizations will serve you well in the medical profession. The guy could have been clinically depressed, not matured, having trouble adapting to a new environment, having trouble coping on his own, having trouble with university style academics after 5 years at highschool or a billion other things. Good thing you were only joking..I hope..

haha this is pretty harsh, even for me. and i'm all about tough love.

give op a break. i f*cked up 1st year myself and i turned out okay ;)

Archived