Premed 101 Forums

Communication Skills and Critical Thinking

Has anyone taking this graduate course at UWO or other universities: "Communication Skills and Critical Thinking"? Is the course lecture based where you go and listen to professor lecture? What do you do in the course? I was looking for a course outline but could not find it anywhere.

Has anyone taking this graduate course at UWO or other universities: "Communication Skills and Critical Thinking"? Is the course lecture based where you go and listen to professor lecture? What do you do in the course? I was looking for a course outline but could not find it anywhere.

I picked up this book years ago from my campus usedbookstore and found it to be very helpful in developing my critical thinking skills. I used this book along with practice LSATs and noticed an improvement in my practice VR scores that summer.

I'm going through it again, actually, because I think the skills you can develop from this book can be applied to all aspects of life.

Also, the authors of this book are from WLU and UW, so they must have a course or two on Critical Thinking in either campus.

Do it up!

An option.

HI!

Yes, this course was brand new this year for all new, incoming graduate students. I took it and did quite well so I can answer any questions you might have. It's a full year class, with lectures on Friday mornings from (supposedly) 9:30-11:30 although we definitely started early and ran late some days.

Essentially, it's a class to teach you skills you'll need as a researcher and scientist, that are not technical but practical, ie. how to communicate your findings both orally and in a written form and how to critique research (others, and your own).

At the beginning of the course, there a few lectures on the life of a grad student, on statistical analyses, etc. but then the bulk of the course comprises student presentations. Throughtout the course, you'll be asked to prepare 3 20-25 minute oral presentations (+ 5-10 minute question period) and write one NSERC-style grant proposal. The 3 presentations will be 1) a critique of a scientific paper that is related to your research; 2) a research proposal based on your project and 3) a results presentation, discussing the work you have completed thus far.

Before each section of presentations, there will be a class explaining how to prepare that sort of presentation and what is expected of you, and then about 4 students will present per week. You'll be evaluated by at least two professors, although your supervisor is also encouraged to attend your presentations, so oftentimes there were about 4+ professors present.

The course does involve quite a bit of work, but I really enjoyed it. It's really good and useful for learning how to talk about your research, dealing with the tough questions you might get asked, giving you ideas on what to try or how to improve your work, and also seeing what other people are doing, how to critique their work, if there are things they're doing that can be applied to your own project etc. Also, doing the presentations and writing the grant are invaluable for when you go on to prepare your first advisory committee meetings and reports, and poster presentations. Not to mention you meet the other grad students! All in all, good experience.

HI!

Yes, this course was brand new this year for all new, incoming graduate students. I took it and did quite well so I can answer any questions you might have. It's a full year class, with lectures on Friday mornings from (supposedly) 9:30-11:30 although we definitely started early and ran late some days.

Essentially, it's a class to teach you skills you'll need as a researcher and scientist, that are not technical but practical, ie. how to communicate your findings both orally and in a written form and how to critique research (others, and your own).

At the beginning of the course, there a few lectures on the life of a grad student, on statistical analyses, etc. but then the bulk of the course comprises student presentations. Throughtout the course, you'll be asked to prepare 3 20-25 minute oral presentations (+ 5-10 minute question period) and write one NSERC-style grant proposal. The 3 presentations will be 1) a critique of a scientific paper that is related to your research; 2) a research proposal based on your project and 3) a results presentation, discussing the work you have completed thus far.

Before each section of presentations, there will be a class explaining how to prepare that sort of presentation and what is expected of you, and then about 4 students will present per week. You'll be evaluated by at least two professors, although your supervisor is also encouraged to attend your presentations, so oftentimes there were about 4+ professors present.

The course does involve quite a bit of work, but I really enjoyed it. It's really good and useful for learning how to talk about your research, dealing with the tough questions you might get asked, giving you ideas on what to try or how to improve your work, and also seeing what other people are doing, how to critique their work, if there are things they're doing that can be applied to your own project etc. Also, doing the presentations and writing the grant are invaluable for when you go on to prepare your first advisory committee meetings and reports, and poster presentations. Not to mention you meet the other grad students! All in all, good experience.

Hi sobes. How many presentations did you have to do in this course? Also, how and on what were you marked in the course? Is the course only offered in the Fall, or can you take it in Winter too?

Hi sobes. How many presentations did you have to do in this course? Also, how and on what were you marked in the course? Is the course only offered in the Fall, or can you take it in Winter too?

You do THREE 20-25 minute presentations.

You're marked on all 3 presentations (15%, 15% and 30% respectively), your written grant proposal assignment (30%), and there's 10% for participation (ie. asking questions, participating in discussion).

The class is a full-year class (ie. it runs from September-April), therefore you take it BOTH in the Fall and Winter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived