Premed 101 Forums

Day and Night

Not the Kid Cudi song, hahah!.. I'm so lame..

All of the very well-rounded students I've spoken to at university tell me they study very late at night, and a unique couple told me they study very early in the morning. Well-rounded means these kids are involved like no other, and still have an astonishing GPA.

Like, one of these well-rounded kids told who's on a varisty sports teams, holds executive positions in many clubs, volunteers a bit here and there, and has a 3.95+ GPA.. told me that he usually spends the day in classes, going to practices and going to club meetings.. and then he starts studying sometime at night around 10pm to 12am and stays up until 4am in the morning! To add to this, he's in a difficult undergrad program.. which I expect most Medical Students to be in as a majority of them have a bachelor of science.

Do a lot of efficient, or good study-ers adopt this schedule of studying very later or very early? By 'good study-ers', I mean like 3.90+ GPAs..

It's hard for me to believe that some guy (with a 4.0 basically) stays up 'til 4am to study, get 6 hours of sleep (as he said he wakes up around 10am), and then cycles through that everyday..

Do a lot of efficient, or good study-ers adopt this schedule of studying very later or very early? By 'good study-ers', I mean like 3.90+ GPAs..

It's hard for me to believe that some guy (with a 4.0 basically) stays up 'til 4am to study, get 6 hours of sleep (as he said he wakes up around 10am), and then cycles through that everyday..

Yes. My brain works better late at night, so I can learn more in a shorter amount of time. I'd far rather start studying around 10-11pm and stay up working until 3-4am, than to do day-time studying--would take me a couple extra hours to learn the same amount of material.

Also, 6 hours isn't that bad. There are lots of people who function just fine on that amount of sleep.

For me, 7.5hrs is the magic number. I usually get 6 hrs at night then a 1.5 hr nap during the day. Although it may just be psychological, I find if I stick to whole sleep cycles (~90 mins) when I sleep I can wake up much easier and much more alert.

All of the very well-rounded students I've spoken to at university tell me they study very late at night, and a unique couple told me they study very early in the morning. Well-rounded means these kids are involved like no other, and still have an astonishing GPA.

Like, one of these well-rounded kids told who's on a varisty sports teams, holds executive positions in many clubs, volunteers a bit here and there, and has a 3.95+ GPA.. told me that he usually spends the day in classes, going to practices and going to club meetings.. and then he starts studying sometime at night around 10pm to 12am and stays up until 4am in the morning! To add to this, he's in a difficult undergrad program.. which I expect most Medical Students to be in as a majority of them have a bachelor of science.

some people are just f#$%ing nuts.. during undergrad (a four year micro & immunology degree) I would usually get up around 9am, go to class during the day, I would usually never study during the week unless a test was coming up. If a test was up, I'd start about a week early and study in the evening 5-10pm. I never stayed up past midnight. I also consider myself a "good study-er" because I never burned myself out and pulled off better grades than those staying up all night. Seriously what can you really learn past midnight??? You may be able to BS an essay topic, but that's not learning remember..

Day and night (what, what)

I toss and turn, I keep stressing my mind, mind (what, what)

I look for peace but see I don't attain (what, what)

What I need for keeps this silly game we play .. play

Now look at this (what, what)

Madness to magnet keeps attracting me, me (what, what)

I try to run but see I'm not that fast (what, what)

I think I'm first but surely finish last .. last

some people are just f#$%ing nuts.. during undergrad (a four year micro & immunology degree) I would usually get up around 9am, go to class during the day, I would usually never study during the week unless a test was coming up. If a test was up, I'd start about a week early and study in the evening 5-10pm. I never stayed up past midnight. I also consider myself a "good study-er" because I never burned myself out and pulled off better grades than those staying up all night. Seriously what can you really learn past midnight??? You may be able to BS an essay topic, but that's not learning remember..

The nights are quieter, less distractions usually. I feel more awake because I've been out all day so I feel like sitting at home and just reading/ studying.

Seriously what can you really learn before noon??? (Sarcasm intended).

It really depends on each individual. Besides, when you're doing residency you'll probably be studying late into the night anyway, have fun adjusting to not being a "good study-er" ;)

I also study late at night. I can really focus then, and remembering is easier. Also I find that when I get back home from a long day of school, I need a couple of hours to relax, hang out w/family, eat, and simply forget about school for a bit. I only end up starting my work at around 9-10 pm and usually finish at 1-2 ish. I go around with 6 hours of sleep on average, and I consider myself to be a very "good study-er" :P

The nights are quieter, less distractions usually. I feel more awake because I've been out all day so I feel like sitting at home and just reading/ studying.

Seriously what can you really learn before noon??? (Sarcasm intended).

It really depends on each individual. Besides, when you're doing residency you'll probably be studying late into the night anyway, have fun adjusting to not being a "good study-er" ;)

agreed, each to their own. studying the way i do got me through undergrad and first year med, i agree that during clerkship and residency things change in terms of being up at all hours, however, i don't think you need to start studying at all hours before you absolutely have to. don't underestimate the value of sleep.

I do this, but it's awful and you feel like utter crap until the exam/test is finally done.

It's a matter of personal preference to be honest. There will be students who do well who procrastinate studying to the last minute possible, and there will also be students who do well by managing their time better and finishing earlier.

Personally, I just can't study until I feel the pressure of the exam really soon, so I can't pick up the book until the night before, which means I often don't finish until the morning of.

I was involved in many extracurricular activities, and also chose to have a very active social life throughout university. However, when you use up time doing other stuff, you have to make up for it somehow.

That means I'd usually end up studying late at night as well. More often than not, I was pulling all nighters before any important exam or assignment was due. This method does not work for everyone, however.

My boyfriend had the opposite schedule. He would go to sleep super early, and wake up around 2 AM and study until school started in the morning.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. However, when you are super involved in various activities, they tend to be scheduled in the evening, and most people tend to have school during the daytime, so I think that's why a lot of people end up having to study late at night.

I was involved in many extracurricular activities, and also chose to have a very active social life throughout university. However, when you use up time doing other stuff, you have to make up for it somehow.

That means I'd usually end up studying late at night as well. More often than not, I was pulling all nighters before any important exam or assignment was due. This method does not work for everyone, however.

My boyfriend had the opposite schedule. He would go to sleep super early, and wake up around 2 AM and study until school started in the morning.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. However, when you are super involved in various activities, they tend to be scheduled in the evening, and most people tend to have school during the daytime, so I think that's why a lot of people end up having to study late at night.

Did your boyfriend get a good GPA by that method? 2AM? Wow. What's going to sleep super-early, likee.. 6pm? haha. Is he also a med-hopeful

Do a lot of efficient, or good study-ers adopt this schedule of studying very later or very early? By 'good study-ers', I mean like 3.90+ GPAs.
It depends on the kind of person you are. For example, this year I had class monday-friday from 8:30 to 2:30. Then I would work on club (2 executive positions) or extracurricular (3 ongoing groups/commitments) stuff until about 4:30ish. I would get home at 5:00, make dinner & eat at 5:30. I wouldn't start studying until 6:00 and I would work until 10:00ish. Then I'd watch the news/a tv show & go to bed.

I wouldn't say that I studied very late at all, and yet I still had a 3.90+ gpa this year. I also didn't really do much studying on the weekend either. However, I did use my 4 hours at night effectively, which meant that I didn't need to spend as much time at night studying. Therefore, I think it's very possible to be a "good study-er" without staying up late/getting up super early.

Some people just need less sleep, don't really now why but if you are lucky enough to be one of those you can get away with things like that :)

I guess I get about 5 hours a night during the week, and a bit more on the weekends. I do the late night studying thing quite a bit as I work during the day, and have a lot of evening courses.

It depends on the kind of person you are. For example, this year I had class monday-friday from 8:30 to 2:30. Then I would work on club (2 executive positions) or extracurricular (3 ongoing groups/commitments) stuff until about 4:30ish. I would get home at 5:00, make dinner & eat at 5:30. I wouldn't start studying until 6:00 and I would work until 10:00ish. Then I'd watch the news/a tv show & go to bed.

I wouldn't say that I studied very late at all, and yet I still had a 3.90+ gpa this year. I also didn't really do much studying on the weekend either. However, I did use my 4 hours at night effectively, which meant that I didn't need to spend as much time at night studying. Therefore, I think it's very possible to be a "good study-er" without staying up late/getting up super early.

I wouldn't attribute sleep schedule but Learning style awareness to the 3.90+ GPAs...a lot of people study for long hours...but their approach is not always very efficient or very effective. Many use the strategies they adopted in high school and pull 3.7s or so and believe they are studying well but just not enough...but in reality that 3.7 might not actually be their optimal output for the number of hours they've logged in.

Like many have posted I also can't really focus on studying until everyone else is in bed! The day has too many distractions, and when I study at night especially past 12, I work sooo much more efficiently. Obviously this changes during exams/finals when I have to start earlier, but I also need the pressure of the test to study.

I also agree that when you study is not likely what decides your gpa. Many people I know study late at night (perhaps because typical university schedules cater to this?), yet the two smartest people in my program get things done way before the deadlines and prefer to do homework in the mornings. I think it is how you study, your technique (read every detail-usually not good, or focus on the important things). Also, knowing to prioritize your homework is important. I had many friends who would give 100% to everything until they ran out of time, and then did not do well. I think it is important to focus on the most highly weighted assignments/tests first.

Archived