Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan tests vs AAMC?

cingularity

I've been doing full length practice tests from both Kaplan and the AAMC and I noticed dramatic changes in my score depending on which version test I do... With Kaplan, I consistently got scores in the mid to high thirties, but scored 27 on both AAMC tests that I did (I only tried two). I was pretty confident after doing a couple of Kaplan's tests, but then my confidence just went down the drain after doing two AAMC tests :(

Did anyone else experience the same sort of trend? I'm pretty sure that the AAMC tests are more reflective of the actual MCAT...so I'm kind of worried now :(

^ I found that Kaplan physical sciences was way harder than that of AAMC. Verbal was just different...can't really say if it was harder or easier. Biological I found pretty much the same. It really depends on the test. Just keep practicing and go over the answers. My MCAT was more similar to the AAMC ones than Kaplan though.

^ I agree. I'll add that the Kaplan stuff also doesn't have some key features of the MCAT, such as:

1) Choices that directly contradict each other, so you know one of the 2 are write.

2) Questions that are completely irrelevant from the passages in the science section. This is why I never worry to fully understand what I read in the passages, especially for ochem (:o).

3) Extremely convoluted and hard to read VR passages. Not all of the 7 VR passages are hard to read, some are quite easy. But there is always one that is a huge time-waster, and Kaplan doesn't follow this pattern.

Kaplan VR is really bad.

I did some Kaplan exams the 2nd time I wrote the MCAT, and whenever I got to VR on a Kaplan test, I literally put my computer aside and did a test from the Examkrackers 101 VR passages book.

I remember reading somewhere that Kaplan sciences were easier, but the grading curve was harder. I don't know if that's true.

In the end, the AAMC tests (except for AAMC#3) are the most reflective of the real deal. Maybe, if you have a kind friend that's taking MCAT prep from another company, you could use some of those tests?

I think Medaholic used to have a list on his blog of where to find free practice MCATs online (questionable difficulty level), but here's a partial list.

Anyways, if all else fails, Kaplan sciences will still provide you with practice and I wouldn't get discouraged.

• 2 months later...
I've been doing full length practice tests from both Kaplan and the AAMC and I noticed dramatic changes in my score depending on which version test I do... With Kaplan, I consistently got scores in the mid to high thirties, but scored 27 on both AAMC tests that I did (I only tried two). I was pretty confident after doing a couple of Kaplan's tests, but then my confidence just went down the drain after doing two AAMC tests :(

Did anyone else experience the same sort of trend? I'm pretty sure that the AAMC tests are more reflective of the actual MCAT...so I'm kind of worried now :(

Avoid Kaplan!

Archived