Premed 101 Forums

Handhelds

I'm looking at picking up some kind of data device or smartphone for clerkship. Seeing as how Palm has killed off non smartphone handhelds, as well as moved from PalmOS to webOS, I'm not sure what to get. I'm partial to the ipod touch, but I'm not sure how much software is available for it.

What are people using right now for data devices, as well as for software?

NOTE: The Rogers network in my province is terrible so an iphone is out.

I am just starting PGY1 next month and am considering upgrading to an iPod touch from my Palm that I used during medical school.

Just a couple of things before I give you my opinion. It's a shame that this discussion will probably spiral downwards into the iPhone vs blackberry argument even though you specifically said that an iPhone is not a good option in NL.

you can get an app that lets you run your iphone off other service towers. so you're on you're iphone and you get low bar so you say "ok, Telus isn't great in this area, let's switch over to Aliant, etc"

This is definitely not true. Rogers is the only iPhone carrier in Canada and also the only carrier using GSM technology. This means you cannot use anyone elses towers. I am sure you already knew that, but just in case.

To get to your original question. I think the iPod touch is a fairly good option as a PDA for medical purposes. I have seen numerous residents and staff physicians using them in this way. Anything that runs on an iPhone will run on iPod touch, as long as you don't need internet access while using it. You can get Skyscape software, epocrates and unboundmedicine software that will run on it for sure...and the software is loaded right onto the machine rather than needing constant internet access. Some features like the pill lookup on epocrates won't work without internet access, but you will never use that anyway. There will likely be even more software in the near future.

http://www.skyscape.com/intro/iphoneintro.aspx

https://www.unboundmedicine.com/ubstore/ub/iphone

http://www.epocrates.com/products/rx/iphone.html

I plan to use the Ipod touch for clerkship as well. I've had mine for about a year, and have lots of programs on it. I've used it during electives and it's been great. I think even more programs will become available in the near future (lots come out everyday), but even now there's plenty, IMO. The only thing you can't get & may want is Up2Date, but that will probably be on hospital computers anyways (and is quite expensive). It may become available in the near future too, who knows?

I plan to use the Ipod touch for clerkship as well. I've had mine for about a year, and have lots of programs on it. I've used it during electives and it's been great. I think even more programs will become available in the near future (lots come out everyday), but even now there's plenty, IMO. The only thing you can't get & may want is Up2Date, but that will probably be on hospital computers anyways (and is quite expensive). It may become available in the near future too, who knows?

Hey Julie!

Have you heard any updates about T-clerk for the Ipod? Or are you just planning on using your home computer for that program?

Thanks!

Katdb

I think they told us it probably wouldn't be available, but the message I got from meds 10 was that it shouldn't be a deciding factor. You can use tclerk on hospital computers, or just do it at home. I'm not sure which I'll choose, but I'm sure I'll figure out a system that works... I don't know how much time I would have to do it on a pda anyways...

Actually, my current preceptor uses the iPod touch, and has UpToDate loaded on it somehow. It has its own icon and everything.

How many of those iTouch apps need to have wireless access to get to them? Skyscape and the 5 minute consults would be great but only if I can use them in hospital. From what I understand, we don't have access to wireless in the London hospitals.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm entering into my first year of medical school and recently received a free ipod touch with my computer. I'm not sure if I should sell the touch and get the new iphone 3Gs and going on a 3yr contract with either rogers or fido. Would you guys recommend just getting an iphone. Are there any advantages of simply just having an ipod touch? Another option is just selling my touch and getting Palm type of PDA. Not sure what to do!!!??

Also, what are some programs that will be useful for me during pre-clerkship. The Netter's Flash Cards would be helpful anything else?

How many of those iTouch apps need to have wireless access to get to them? Skyscape and the 5 minute consults would be great but only if I can use them in hospital. From what I understand, we don't have access to wireless in the London hospitals.

IIRC, Skyscape and 5MCC (I know this one for sure) are usable offline. Both can be updated online, however.

Personally I wouldn't sign a 3 year contract with any service provider right now. There are new wireless startups coming soon (using GSM), as early as Q3 of this year, and you can be sure that the increase in competition and motivation for these new guys to make a big splash will drop monthly fees across the board. Specifically, Rogers+Fido will no longer have a monopoly on the GSM market, and hopefully this will force them to adjust their outrageous data plans.

Do a search for Globalive, Public Mobile, DAVE wireless, or Quebecor in Quebec. About a month ago, an alleged ex-employee of Globalive posted pics from a supposed company presentation detailing Globalive's launch plans and rates on Howard's Hardware Forum. Not sure if the story is true but the monthly fees were definately an improvement over what is currently available.

Myself, I am looking to get a new phone, but will wait for the market to settle before I sign any long term contracts. Pay as You Go, or monthly until then for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived