Premed 101 Forums

Med games for the west worth organizing?

It could probably be done but would be a lot of effort... with Icebowl it's strictly hockey-related organizing which is straightforward. Medgames requires more facilities = more bookings = more funding to find. More sports = likely more students = more accommodations required. More students = more social events = more social venues to book. And I think it goes without saying that in Western Canada, or at least in Alberta, hockey is overwhelming more popular than every other sport so Icebowl is enough for most (although I pay it no mind, basketball and football are my thing).

If you can somehow get it off and running then kudos to you, but in between organizing it and doing school it'll be a challenge.

It could probably be done but would be a lot of effort... with Icebowl it's strictly hockey-related organizing which is straightforward. Medgames requires more facilities = more bookings = more funding to find. More sports = likely more students = more accommodations required. More students = more social events = more social venues to book. And I think it goes without saying that in Western Canada, or at least in Alberta, hockey is overwhelming more popular than every other sport so Icebowl is enough for most (although I pay it no mind, basketball and football are my thing).

If you can somehow get it off and running then kudos to you, but in between organizing it and doing school it'll be a challenge.

In addition, having the event in the central-east allows for the most participation due to proximity. I doubt MedGames would get the same participation if it was held out west.

Archived