Premed 101 Forums

EK physics lecture 5 test

AG22

Hey everyone, maybe one of you can shed some light on this:

A water tower is filled with water to a depth of 15 m. If a leak forms 10 m above the base of the tower, what will be the velocity of the water as it escapes through the leak?

I did this: v = sqrt(2gX10m)

However, they solved it using h = 5m, since they reason that the leak happens 5 m below the surface.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that height is measured relative to some reference point, usually the base of the container, which is arbitrarily assigned a value of 0m.

Gracias!! :)

Hey everyone, maybe one of you can shed some light on this:

A water tower is filled with water to a depth of 15 m. If a leak forms 10 m above the base of the tower, what will be the velocity of the water as it escapes through the leak?

I did this: v = sqrt(2gX10m)

However, they solved it using h = 5m, since they reason that the leak happens 5 m below the surface.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that height is measured relative to some reference point, usually the base of the container, which is arbitrarily assigned a value of 0m.

Gracias!! :)

The post below mine makes more sense :). I'm still curious what page this is on though... and if its in the 7th ed? :)

Hey,

I think it would be helpful for this problem to draw a picture. The tower is 15m tall above ground and the leak is towards the top at a height of 10m. That means that only 5m of water will leak out. Therefore, you only have 5m of water with a velocity, as the water in the lower 10m will just remain in the tower.

Hope this makes sense.

to fully appreciate the concept behind the question you have to solve this using bernoulli's equation P + pgh + 0.5pv² = constant in a system

P + pgh + 0.5pv² = P + pgh + 0.5pv²

atmospheric pressure P cancels out since it is the same at water surface and the leak

pgh + 0.5pv² = pgh + 0.5pv²

if we use reference point h = 0 at the point of leak, then h = 5 at water surface, and since velocity is negligible at water surface, therefore 0.5pv² = 0 at water surface and pgh = 0 at h=0

the equation becomes pgh = 0.5pv² where h = 5

suppose you want to use reference point h=0 at the bottom of the container,

pgh + 0.5pv² = pgh + 0.5pv²

water surface velocity still equals zero, but you can no longer cancel out pgh from one side, and you would get

pgh = pgh + 0.5pv²

at the water surface h = 15

at the leak h = 10

pg(15) = pg(10) + 0.5pv², and simple algebra brings you back to

pgh = 0.5pv² where h = 5

Archived