Premed 101 Forums

Listing research on the UBC application

I've checked old threads and the application form, and I've got a few questions about listing some forms of research.

1. Poster Presentations. There is no spot for this, has anyone asked UBC how these should be listed?

2. Original research papers that are being prepared but have not been submitted. Hopefully I will submit before the deadline, but if not where would be a good place to put this? Can it be listed under publications if I specify that it has not been submitted (if we know the title, authors etc...)? Has anyone asked UBC about this?

Thanks everyone.

I'm actually wondering about the poster business myself. I did not list it under publication when I applied last time...don't think I even mentioned the word "poster"

As for research paper, I believe there's an option that you can select for papers being submitted/reviewed.

*my bad...I didn't read the paragraph carefully.

I put my poster presentation under "Other non-academic experiences." I put my boss as the contact person and the name of the conference under "organization." I didn't ask the admissions committee if this was the right place to put it, but I didn't hear from them that it was wrong or anything. Hope that helps.

in my view, papers that have not been submitted shouldn't be considered as publications because they can still run into the problem of being rejected or requiring major revisions. From past experience, I've had papers taking a whole year worth of revisions before finally being accepted for publication. I know it's good to have publications listed in your application, but if the paper isn't even submitted, then trying to list it in the application would only serve as padding. I don't think it would be given too much weight even if you list it right now. I had a paper that was approved for publication around January of this year, but I didn't include it in the application in September simply due to the uncertainty of the paper's status.

I've checked old threads and the application form, and I've got a few questions about listing some forms of research.

1. Poster Presentations. There is no spot for this, has anyone asked UBC how these should be listed?

2. Original research papers that are being prepared but have not been submitted. Hopefully I will submit before the deadline, but if not where would be a good place to put this? Can it be listed under publications if I specify that it has not been submitted (if we know the title, authors etc...)? Has anyone asked UBC about this?

Thanks everyone.

still put it down with an estimate date of submission, let the adm decide if you deserve a point or not.

________

Weed Bubblers

in my view, papers that have not been submitted shouldn't be considered as publications because they can still run into the problem of being rejected or requiring major revisions. From past experience, I've had papers taking a whole year worth of revisions before finally being accepted for publication. I know it's good to have publications listed in your application, but if the paper isn't even submitted, then trying to list it in the application would only serve as padding. I don't think it would be given too much weight even if you list it right now. I had a paper that was approved for publication around January of this year, but I didn't include it in the application in September simply due to the uncertainty of the paper's status.

I agree. Even paper submitted doesn't count much in the academic world.

I agree. Even paper submitted doesn't count much in the academic world.

I still think that one should put all the possible publications down. At least it looks better than those who had no lab experience. Potentially, it can be published. If it is published and you didn't put it down, the adm wouldn't reward your publication.

________

Rubinnajm

I still think that one should put all the possible publications down. At least it looks better than those who had no lab experience. Potentially, it can be published. If it is published and you didn't put it down, the adm wouldn't reward your publication.

I'm all for putting down lab experiences. There are places on the application that willing allow the OP to lay out in detail all the lab experiences that OP has. Putting down papers that may or may not be accepted after the application deadline in my opinion will not earn any more points than the lab experiences already put down.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm actually wondering about the poster business myself. I did not list it under publication when I applied last time...don't think I even mentioned the word "poster"

Sorry if this sounds clueless, but just to clarify,a paper selected for a poster presentation for a National Forum isn't considered a publication right?

Archived