Premed 101 Forums

extra curriculars

I was wondering from how far back are extra curriculars still valid for medical school? Does validity start when you begin university? Do highschool ECs count? And what type of EC's do you think medical schools look at most highly? Is it better to have 1 or 2 big community service/work experiences (i.e: working abroad), or lots of small things, like committees?

Also, if med students wouldn't mind, what kind of EC's did you do?

Thanks so much!

Yes they look at what you have been doing (48 items) since you were 16. I would imagine the purpose of EC's is to show them you are interested in working with people, helping community, and interested in the medical field. They might also show you are responsible and mature (ie work). I know that having a mix of many things would likely be your best bet (they like "well-rounded" applicants and is there really too many ECs?) That being sad, they like to see longer-term EC's. So rather than doing 5 different ECs that were a couple days committment... they prefer to see you did something for a whole year or more. Anything health related would be great ... ie volunteering or working at a hospital.

Archived