Premed 101 Forums

Acing the MCAT with no cash.

fluorescein

I've registered to write the MCAT in mid-August... everyone I know who plans to write the MCAT is taking prep classes. Essentially, my problem is that I have about $50 in the bank. haha. I have all of the ExamKrackers books (you'd best not ask how I got those ;) ), but thats really all that I have. Is there a chance that I can do decently well without actually taking prep classes or buying a bunch of materials? If so, how?

Tips and advice please? :)

The course itself is a waste of money and time. Get the Princeton Review books, EK 101 Passages and EK Verbal, get all the practice tests off AAMC (share the cost with a friend). Study on your own - the course just goes through the book. To have a good chance of doing well, you need the above tools.

Can it be done? I did it and scored pretty okay (39Q).

The course itself is a waste of money and time. Get the Princeton Review books, EK 101 Passages and EK Verbal, get all the practice tests off AAMC (share the cost with a friend). Study on your own - the course just goes through the book.

1234 is clearly very talented. I wouldn't go as far as saying courses are a waste of money for everybody. If you're not proficient in self-studying, then a course is a good alternative. I believe courses are about $1500. If you consider the cost of Princeton Review/Kaplan books ($100), EK101 ($30), EK Verbal ($15), and all the official AAMC tests ($125), you're at about $270. So I guess the cost of all the online resources, classroom time, and access to the teachers is about $1200. That being said, I too didn't use a course and I still did well.

The course itself is a waste of money and time. Get the Princeton Review books, EK 101 Passages and EK Verbal, get all the practice tests off AAMC (share the cost with a friend). Study on your own - the course just goes through the book. To have a good chance of doing well, you need the above tools.

Hahaha yes, thats a "pretty okay" score:p. I'll look into the princeton review books and the aamc practice tests, thanks!

EK and the AAMC practice tests are seriously all you need....Maybe the EK 1001 books if you're weak on science.

I was considering taking a course and am SO GLAD I didn't waste my money.

Wasn't even aware of the existance of the EK 1001 books, haha thanks! :)

I've registered to write the MCAT in mid-August... everyone I know who plans to write the MCAT is taking prep classes. Essentially, my problem is that I have about $50 in the bank. haha. I have all of the ExamKrackers books (you'd best not ask how I got those ;) ), but thats really all that I have. Is there a chance that I can do decently well without actually taking prep classes or buying a bunch of materials? If so, how?

Tips and advice please? :)

I did alright (35Q) for spending $150 in study materials. I used the EK verbal book and the big kaplan book. These and some AAMC exams are more than sufficient in my mind.

Prep classes are overrated. If anything, they contribute to the test taker's mental confidence. "Well, I DID spend $2500 in preparation for the exam, so I should be at least as prepared as the guy sitting next to me". As far as the content goes, I don't think there's anything the prep classes teach that you can't learn by yourself.

Totally agree.

I did alright (35Q) for spending $150 in study materials. I used the EK verbal book and the big kaplan book. These and some AAMC exams are more than sufficient in my mind.

Prep classes are overrated. If anything, they contribute to the test taker's mental confidence. "Well, I DID spend $2500 in preparation for the exam, so I should be at least as prepared as the guy sitting next to me". As far as the content goes, I don't think there's anything the prep classes teach that you can't learn by yourself.

What Kaplan book did you use? I have all of the section quizzes and the full length tests, but I've heard that they're a bit sketchy compared to the actual exam. haha.

Try your local library. Someone possibly donated a prep-book or two.

I know that the London library system had Biehl's MCAT Physics book (an older edition) and the most recent MCAT 45 from Kaplan.

Also, your course notes/any textbooks you kept from those courses are more in depth than any MCAT prep book. Print off the MCAT Essential Materials stuff and you have more than enough resources at your hands from Undergraduate Biology/Chem/Physics/Orgo.

Try your local library. Someone possibly donated a prep-book or two.

I know that the London library system had Biehl's MCAT Physics book (an older edition) and the most recent MCAT 45 from Kaplan.

Also, your course notes/any textbooks you kept from those courses are more in depth than any MCAT prep book. Print off the MCAT Essential Materials stuff and you have more than enough resources at your hands from Undergraduate Biology/Chem/Physics/Orgo.

I will certainly run to the library today, you never know! haha. Thanks! :)

I will certainly run to the library today, you never know! haha. Thanks! :)

got a premed club at your university? Waterloo has one and between them and the career centre there are several MCAT prep books etc avaiable for sign out. I think I will ultimately be donating my books there once some friends use them this summer.

What Kaplan book did you use? I have all of the section quizzes and the full length tests, but I've heard that they're a bit sketchy compared to the actual exam. haha.

I used the "Kaplan Premier Program" book. Their tests are a bit different from the actual one, and a bit harder, but in the end it's still worth your time doing them.

got a premed club at your university? Waterloo has one and between them and the career centre there are several MCAT prep books etc avaiable for sign out. I think I will ultimately be donating my books there once some friends use them this summer.

Haha! Sounds like a plan....but don't donate those books yet ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived