Premed 101 Forums

Just a thought...need advice?

Quester

Just wondering, do you think this is an unrealistic plan?

During the summer, take full year orgo + research + volunteer + TPR course...but, write the MCAT the NEXT summer (which is after 3rd year) along with other ECs.

I mean, my freshman GPA's not even high enough for me to apply in my 3rd year to Canadian schools so technically, I'm not in any rush to write the MCAT. And judging by how this year went, I don't think I should take orgo, bio, stats, and physics courses together in September...which is why I'm planning to take orgo during next summer.

But I also want to start doing research and take TPR course so that I won't 'panic' as much when I write my MCAT in early summer (like May/June) so that I could apply to the States.

Is this even feasible?:eek:

It's kind of a odd plan. Don't know about other people, but it is certainly useless for me if I was to take a prep course one summer only to do the real thing 10-12 months later. I did my MCAT last sept and had a 35Q, and I can promise you that, if you give me the test again right now, I'd get around 20N. Just take the course when you are ready to take the MCAT.

I agree with Oak. Take the MCAT right after you take the prep course. You forget a lot. It also doesnt hurt to write the MCAT early. This way, if something were to go wrong and you get a lower than expected mark, you still have time to rewrite before you have to start applying.

Also, remember that for courses taken in the summer, many schools dont count them towards your cGPA. Also, you'd still need to a full course load in September.

Archived