Premed 101 Forums

Blood-donation certificates...should I mentioned about it in OMSAS application?

Despite fear of needles, for 6 years I have been donating my "special" and "rare" type AB (Rh -) blood (got tired of eating free pizza and juice they provide you...ugh..). To prove that, I have several certificates received from various organizations. I'm not sure, though, if I should mention this on my application and elaborate on how much I care about health welfare. Do you think this could be useful on my application?

I don't think it's appropriate for an application. Anyone can donate blood in a blink of the eye (doesn't mean they do though)..so it's not exactly special. It'd be like saying you donate $100 to the AIDs foundation every year- it's irrelevent.

Most people in Canada "think it's a good idea" to donate blood. Yet only a fraction (approximately 1.5% or 1 in 60) actually will do it.

As AB neg, you are quite rare: only around 0.6% of Canadians are AB neg.

But you are the universal donor for plasma and platelets. You are incredibly important as a platelet donor for infants (who may not be able to receive their own blood group because of an incompatilibty with their mothers).

Congratutions and thank you for getting off your ass and doing what most people don't do (although everybody agrees it's a good idea). We need AB neg platelets in the hospital BADLY and we never have enough. (AB patients get out of group platelets because we can't get enough AB platelets collected for them).

So yes, you should definitely put blood donor on your application. Physicians - particularly anesthesia, peds, internal med, path and all surgeons) will appreciate your contribution (even if your competition on this website doesn't). This is particularly influential if you happen to be applying in an area with a lower-than-average donation rate e.g. Vancouver and Toronto.

And thanks again!

++ exactly, thats what i was thinking. its funny how everyone puts him/her down and makes it seem like its helping someone cross the street. lol

It's because it requires absolutely zero effort (full disclosure, I'm also a blood donor and NO, I did not list it on my app). I find it vile, the extent to which some premeds will go to pad their applications. Donating bodily fluids? SERIOUSLY? This is an achievement worth putting on a medical school application in your book?

It's because it requires absolutely zero effort (full disclosure, I'm also a blood donor and NO, I did not list it on my app). I find it vile, the extent to which some premeds will go to pad their applications. Donating bodily fluids? SERIOUSLY? This is an achievement worth putting on a medical school application in your book?

how about you stop criticizing what other people do and worry about yourself because you're not in any position to judge

how about you stop criticizing what other people do and worry about yourself because you're not in any position to judge

I am in a position to judge by virtue of the fact that this person wanted other people's opinions. The simple fact that they felt the need to ask suggests that this is probably not the best thing to put on your app. If in doubt, don't.

I do believe that donating blood is laudable. Most of the stuff that pre-meds do doesn't really have any direct impact on the welfare of patients. This invariably does.

It's people like the OP that keep Canada's blood system functioning. The alternative is pretty grim.

http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/qasItBmKcvgbzKCibSqIBVooiL?format=standard

In the span of 18 months, 316 children younger than 14 were infected with HIV through blood transfusions.

While I might not be so outspoken with my opinion, I'm going to have to agree with Jochi here.

why are you all bashing the OP?

Everyone knows that getting into med school turns you into a cynic.

Well said.

Also:

Imagine what you would say if, during an interview:

Interviewers asked "Tell me more about the fact that you donate blood."

Interviewee: "Well, I donate my rare AB (Rh-) blood on a very consistent basis. And by very consistent, I mean VERRRY."

Interviewer: "Anything else?"

Interviewee: "Ummm. *Yada yada about donating blood and its important*"

Interviewer: "Wow..."

So meaningful, isn't it. Do you honestly think the interviewer would be impressed by that? It is more likely to work against you than for you.

Zero effort, huh? Well, I guess you could say that, since all you have to do is go to the hospital, stick a needle up your blood vessel, and wait until certain amount of blood has been drawn out from your body. But I've been doing this for several years now, at least once in 4 months. Sure, my small, "effortless" contribution may not stand out at all on my application(especially in autobiographical sketch section). But it DOES reflect what kind of person I am. I like giving and helping other people - frequent blood donation is only one of examples which reflects myself. Yes, achievements are very important on med school application. But so are the contributions regardless they are small or big.

So Jochi, thanx for you "opinion" but you got my intention all wrong :D

Well said.

Also:

Imagine what you would say if, during an interview:

Interviewers asked "Tell me more about the fact that you donate blood."

Interviewee: "Well, I donate my rare AB (Rh-) blood on a very consistent basis. And by very consistent, I mean VERRRY."

Interviewer: "Anything else?"

Interviewee: "Ummm. *Yada yada about donating blood and its important*"

Interviewer: "Wow..."

So meaningful, isn't it. Do you honestly think the interviewer would be impressed by that? It is more likely to work against you than for you.

Everyone here knows the conversation won't be going like that during the interview lol I'm not stupid. I only wanted to mention about my blood donation contribution as one of many examples to show them who I am (maybe when I write autobiographical letter??).

PS: Read the original post before you reply. Saying your opinion without fully understanding first what they asked from you is always unwelcomed.

I don't see anything wrong with putting it on your app if you can defend it on paper and in person.

In my opinion, donating blood is extremely laudable, and especially if you are committed to it, then I don't see why it doesn't qualify as some sort of activity that can be mentioned.

Although I won't start a flame war by quoting some oft used but often questionable activities put on applications, I would say that given you feel comfortable with putting that on your application, then go for it. There are far more passive and lower impact activities that people put on applications that others consider to be 'legitimate'.

To the OP, take everyone's comments for the two cents that they offer. Don't be discouraged by the naysayers but also don't have your head up in the skies when you read opinions that support your own.

Good luck!

P.S. Version 2, ever heard of blood fractionation? AB- is the universal plasma donor ;).

I think it's irrelevent of what everyone's slowly generated opinions on it are. The fact is that the interviewer will have much less time and energy to analyze whether it's padding your application and if it's really a credible EC. Sure, it helps people. But do you put down how much money you've donated to the Salvation Army? It takes me 2 hrs to make 20$ that I donated to the Salvation Army every month. Appropriate for an application? no.

Archived