Premed 101 Forums

Feasibility of a 5th year?

AG22

Hey guys, I had originally posted this in the wrong forum! But I'd appreciate some advice from you seeing as you have already gotten into med school and will be knowledgeable about this concern of mine! Thanks! (see below)

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for me about sticking around and doing a 5th year in University?

I have realised that I don't have all the prerequisites that would enable me to apply to OOP schools. For instance, I need Eng, physics, and biochem. So I was contemplating sticking around for an extra year and picking up these pre-reqs. Next year, is my final year but if I choose not to graduate and return for an additional year, is that considered "taboo" by the admissions committees? I have no idea So I'd appreciate your thoughts!

If that is considred taboo, then I was thinking of perhaps overloading in my final year and ensuring that I graduate with all my degree requirements completed (like my honours thesis etc) along with taking all the prereqs for med schools.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated!! Muchas gracias

Many schools dont have "prerequisites". You arent required specific courses (Whereas some do). Taking these courses can increase your chances of getting in. If in September, you're entering 4th year, apply to the schools you can. If you dont get in, then go back for a 5th year.

I know several people who have gotten in after graduating with a 4 year degree, and adding on a 5th year as an upgrading undergrad student. I dont think its taboo

Many schools dont have "prerequisites". You arent required specific courses (Whereas some do). Taking these courses can increase your chances of getting in. If in September, you're entering 4th year, apply to the schools you can. If you dont get in, then go back for a 5th year.

I know several people who have gotten in after graduating with a 4 year degree, and adding on a 5th year as an upgrading undergrad student. I dont think its taboo

Oh perfect! Thanks a tonne! I think I will graduate this year and then come back to upgrade if that is the case. Would you (or anyone) happen to know how adcoms count these "extra" courses that one has taken after graduating, in their GPA calculations?

Merci beaucoup!!

Oh perfect! Thanks a tonne! I think I will graduate this year and then come back to upgrade if that is the case. Would you (or anyone) happen to know how adcoms count these "extra" courses that one has taken after graduating, in their GPA calculations?

Merci beaucoup!!

generally same as any other year :)

check out westerns rules in particular though

Merci beaucoup!!

I think for UWO it is more advantageous to do a fifth year within a degree, rather than a "special" year after your degree is complete. One benefit is that it is usually easier to get the courses you want when you are working within a degree. The second difference is that UWO has specific rules for "special" years. For fifth years within a degree, however, you just have to follow the rules regarding senior level courses like any other year. I would have Schulich admissions review my plan for a fifth year, though, before committing to it to be certain nothing was amiss.

I think for UWO it is more advantageous to do a fifth year within a degree, rather than a "special" year after your degree is complete. One benefit is that it is usually easier to get the courses you want when you are working within a degree. The second difference is that UWO has specific rules for "special" years. For fifth years within a degree, however, you just have to follow the rules regarding senior level courses like any other year. I would have Schulich admissions review my plan for a fifth year, though, before committing to it to be certain nothing was amiss.

mm just wondering... if thats the case why would anyone wanna graduate instead of doing the 5th year first?

mm just wondering... if thats the case why would anyone wanna graduate instead of doing the 5th year first?

Just some of them

Want to start a masters, some programs they currently applied to and may get in to require a honours degree to be completed, original program was not suitable to rapid GPA improvement, time gap between fourth year and fifth special year, other EC related work that requires the degree.....

Question comes up often enough I guess I am acquiring a mental list of reason why to graduate :) That being said I do think it is often of benefit NOT to graduate and say on.

Archived