Premed 101 Forums

So I was reading on the UBC Admissions website that they take the best overall MCAT scrore. Does that mean that if say you get 6 VR, 11 PS, 10BS, Q and then on a second MCAT you get 9VR, 9PS, 10BS, P, they will take your mark to be: 9VR, 11PS, 10BS, Q. Or will they take the best overall mark: i.e. 28P from the second exam rather than 27Q from the first exam.

Thanks

I'm considering retaking the MCAT for UBC to up my mediocre score but I'm not sure if it's worth it since my lowest mark is a 7 and from what I can put together, marks below a 7 are flagged?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here had an idea about how much weight the MCAT has on your application post interview?

UBC puts little weight on the MCAT and I've heard they are actually considering "phasing it out". I took the MCAT twice - spent my whole summer indoors studying - and actually did worse the second time (even though I'm convinced I studied harder)!! So don't assume you'll boost your score. My suggestion would be to spend the time you would be studying for the MCAT on improving your non-acedemics. Chances are, you'll be able to boost your overall score more that way.

this is what i've been told as well, dont waste time on the MCAT do more ECs but the thing is I think my ECs are pretty great and my MCAT is on the below average side,,,,,,,,thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. Great ECs not so much with the MCAT?

I'm considering taking that really expensive Kaplan thing to prepare but between the time and cost...it's a lot to consider.

Remember, its not how hard you study - it's knowing how to effectively study for the MCAT. Old threads on these boards are an effective way to begin your studying plan. Simply reading the books as if your studying for a normal exam is simply not going to get it done as the MCAT has little to do with regurgitation, and more about learning and implementing on your feet.

Archived