Premed 101 Forums

$20,000 for Ontario graduates to move to Sask for 7 years

Considering it is in the middle of the prairies, and I hate the extreme dry, and flat landscape of the area you would need to pay me more than a tiny, tidy sum to move there.

Still it is better than nothing, and the job market out there is much better than Ontario right now. I suspect a lot of people who would go out there anyway are going to get a cash bonus now :)

Still it is better than nothing, and the job market out there is much better than Ontario right now. I suspect a lot of people who would go out there anyway are going to get a cash bonus now :)

Completely agree. The job market in Ontario is terrible. Thanks goodness for being in school right now.

what kind of joke is 20K. So you have to lock yourself down for 7 years @ $3000 a year. Wow, great incentive...

If you really want a bonus and wouldn't mind living in Saskatchewan for a while, join MOTP, take the $200K bonus after residency and request a station in Saskatchewan (I'm sure they need people there on the military base).

what kind of joke is 20K. So you have to lock yourself down for 7 years @ $3000 a year. Wow, great incentive...

If you really want a bonus and wouldn't mind living in Saskatchewan for a while, join MOTP, take the $200K bonus after residency and request a station in Saskatchewan (I'm sure they need people there on the military base).

I'm sure that as a physician, you could probably bargain a MUCH larger bonus by contacting a community of interest in Saskatchewan. The $20,000 applies to tradespeople and the like.

I'm sure that as a physician, you could probably bargain a MUCH larger bonus by contacting a community of interest in Saskatchewan. The $20,000 applies to tradespeople and the like.

yeah exactly! This isn't really for doctors, you can get much larger "bonuses" inside of Ontario for family medicine for instance. If you are a new grad, $20,000 is not peanuts. Particularly if it is backed up with good steady work as well. Really this is not an small incentive for most people (I believe).

Don't think ontarios provincial government is particularly happy about this plan by the way! I expect some complaints :)

yeah exactly! This isn't really for doctors, you can get much larger "bonuses" inside of Ontario for family medicine for instance. If you are a new grad, $20,000 is not peanuts. Particularly if it is backed up with good steady work as well. Really this is not an small incentive for most people (I believe).

Don't think ontarios provincial government is particularly happy about this plan by the way! I expect some complaints :)

To add to this:

Jobs in themselves are hard enough to get, especially public service positions. Have you ever tried applying for a job with the Ontario Government? A job + an incentive is a pretty good deal, especially for a new grad. Sure, it's not for everyone, but someone's going to jump at that.

Again, "regular" jobs, not medicine. :rolleyes:

So I am getting a general feeling that jobs are hard to find in ontario right now. This is a saddening fact of recession, but the truth of the matter is there are more provinces in Canada than just Saskatchewan and Ontario.

oh sure, it's a combination though. Ontario's economy is pretty weak right now, Saskatchewan's is very hot. They are so desperate for workers....hence the cash incentitive :)

How is the rest of the provinces out west doing right now? Thought Alberta was having some issues due to the oil drop.

oh sure, it's a combination though. Ontario's economy is pretty weak right now, Saskatchewan's is very hot. They are so desperate for workers....hence the cash incentitive :)

How is the rest of the provinces out west doing right now? Thought Alberta was having some issues due to the oil drop.

Really it depends on what job sector you are looking at. Trades are being wiped in the mud right now, but health care is pretty much always looking for new doctors. It was interesting when the recession hit because you saw trademens and a significant amount of general labourers get hit, but then there was a demand for workers in other areas, some paying decent, some not.

If your a trademen or another occupation in demand that doesn't pay like doctors do and it's a deal to move out to saskatchewan. However this isn't the case for those who are becoming doctors. To a doctor $20,000 is a pittance to accept if it means your stuck somewhere undesirable for 7 years.

Really it depends on what job sector you are looking at. Trades are being wiped in the mud right now, but health care is pretty much always looking for new doctors. It was interesting when the recession hit because you saw trademens and a significant amount of general labourers get hit, but then there was a demand for workers in other areas, some paying decent, some not.

If your a trademen or another occupation in demand that doesn't pay like doctors do and it's a deal to move out to saskatchewan. However this isn't the case for those who are becoming doctors. To a doctor $20,000 is a pittance to accept if it means your stuck somewhere undesirable for 7 years.

I am still getting used to the concept that 20,000 is a "pittance". I have to remind myself sometimes that this field actually pays well :)

Archived