Premed 101 Forums

Laptop Bursary Question

I am starting to look at potential laptops for med....

Just to be clear, if I get OSAP (99.99% sure), I'll get a laptop bursary, but the bursary is just a $3500 cash credit and does not oblige me to get the recommended laptop, right? Therefore, I can opt out of the laptop, use the $$$ to pay for school, and purchase my own?

I just don't want to be saddled with a superfluous laptop.

Thanks.

That's exactly right. The laptop bursary isn't actually a bursary for the laptop, it's just called that because the bursary is approximately the same value as the laptop (actually it's better than the laptop...Bursary = $3500, laptop = $2700). So you'll still get the bursary if you opt out of the laptop.

I am starting to look at potential laptops for med....

Just to be clear, if I get OSAP (99.99% sure), I'll get a laptop bursary, but the bursary is just a $3500 cash credit and does not oblige me to get the recommended laptop, right? Therefore, I can opt out of the laptop, use the $$$ to pay for school, and purchase my own?

I just don't want to be saddled with a superfluous laptop.

Thanks.

Question: Are you considered for this laptop bursary once you complete your OSAP form? Is it a bursary offered through OSAP? cause all I could find on their site in terms of this type of bursary was the Textbook and Technology Grant (TTG)

Howard, where did you find this form?:confused: Thanks.

http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/medtech/eng/2009_laptop_order_form-v2.asp

Honestly I have no clue why you guys bother with the faculty laptop, it's still 2700$!!!!!, even after a year (computers drop in value, in case you don't know that, it was 2700$ last year...).

It is 100% pure day light robbery!!

http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/medtech/eng/2009_laptop_order_form-v2.asp

Honestly I have no clue why you guys bother with the faculty laptop, it's still 2700$!!!!!, even after a year (computers drop in value, in case you don't know that, it was 2700$ last year...). They call it the laptop bursary because Faculty laptops cost 3 grand

It is 100% pure day light robbery!!

BTW, I forgot to mention that you don't need to buy a laptop for the 3500$ bursary, it is automatically given to 1st years could receive student loans of ANY amount (now you can write on your student loans that you need a 3000$ laptop...). Check with ottawa. Second years only get 750$ i think.

HP 2710p similar specs as Dell XT for $620

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-HP-Compaq-2710p-Tablet-PC-U7600-2GB-80GB-BT_W0QQitemZ200349118965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_comp_laptop?hash=item2ea5bcf1f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A2102|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Dell XT for $835

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Latitude-XT-Tablet-U7600-Laptop-Notebook-3-Year_W0QQitemZ130298442375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_comp_laptop?hash=item1e56647287&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A2102|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Jerry-mon,

If you buy an Ebay laptop, what if it crashes? What about warranty? I'm cool buying books, clothes... off Ebay, but electronics?!

P.S. Your links don't work.

They come with warranties. I bought mine last year for 1400$ including delivery (the new ones cost 3100$ for the last configuration last year). My warranty transfer took 3 months to complete, but it's a next business day on-site warranty (ie. dell technician comes with a truck and fixes it on the spot), and I even got the 3 year gold data recovery plan.... and the accidental damage coverage...I can actually throw mine against the wall right now and get a new one, except I'm too lazy.

P.S. You could also cut and paste the links into your browser, that might work?

Haha... Worked! I was checking at work where they seem to have blocked ebay. It just displayed an error page instead of a glaring warning. Man I sounded dumb.

you have to becareful what you buy on ebay tho, those links are just examples. Some have a 30 day warranty, some have 3 years mail in warranty, some have 3 years onsite warranty

Archived