Premed 101 Forums

Studying For Verbal Reasoning..

I was told that I should practice verbal reasoning at a coffee shop to get used to distractions......

Thoughts on the amount of distractions while writing the mcat etc...and how to deal with distractions would be appreciated...

2 things:

1.) why a coffee shop specifically for VR? The whole exam is written in the same room

2.) my exam was quiet. It's pretty easy to drown out the shuffling of feet/clicking of computer mice/pencil scratches. I don't think that's near the amount of noise you'll hear at a coffee shop. Plus we were given like airport employee sound deafening industrial headphones!

room is fairly quiet except for when other test takers reach the writing sample part. the keypads were stiffer than usual and even with the headphones it can get annoying. however you can always get to the test earlier and start earlier. therefore you can beat out the bunch to the writing sample section and avoid any noise for perhaps the most tedious part of the test (VR)

Why coffee shop....I am taking the PR course..and the instructor told us to go to the coffee shop and do the verbal reasoning there???????????

Think I will take your comments, and not concern myself with noise...I thought it was a random suggestion...but thought..best advice would come from premed...hence my thread..

thanks all..

I doubt it's external distractions that is the problem with VR. Hopefully, your instructor have given you more helpful advice than that.

Be advised that if you get seated close to the door of the test room, you'll have more people walking by when they go on their breaks. The downtown testing centre in Ottawa also gave out sound blocking headphones. Mine didn't fit quite well and my L ear had some sound coming through. Ended up with a headache by the end of the test. Haha.

I doubt it's external distractions that is the problem with VR. Hopefully, your instructor have given you more helpful advice than that.

Be advised that if you get seated close to the door of the test room, you'll have more people walking by when they go on their breaks. The downtown testing centre in Ottawa also gave out sound blocking headphones. Mine didn't fit quite well and my L ear had some sound coming through. Ended up with a headache by the end of the test. Haha.

I had headphones the second time i wrote the test (normally I insert a "darn westerns W.S. cut off" here, but since they accepted me I guess I cannot complain anymore :))

They were a bit weird though, I found the totaly lack of sound, plus the weird pressure on my ears to be worse than any minor noise in the room.

in any case it is way better than the old paper version i wrote. That was just me in a huge room with 1000 other people, and of course with 3% having colds that was 30 annoying coughing people for 8 straight hours :)

room is fairly quiet except for when other test takers reach the writing sample part. the keypads were stiffer than usual and even with the headphones it can get annoying. however you can always get to the test earlier and start earlier. therefore you can beat out the bunch to the writing sample section and avoid any noise for perhaps the most tedious part of the test (VR)

So not everyone starts at the same time? I write at 8am and figured we all start and stop at identical times?

interesting...and weird

So not everyone starts at the same time? I write at 8am and figured we all start and stop at identical times?

interesting...and weird

They space out the starting times between 5 to 10 minutes per person, so that all the test takers aren't going on break at the same time. That would lead to a headache for the person who's signing you in and out.

They space out the starting times between 5 to 10 minutes per person, so that all the test takers aren't going on break at the same time. That would lead to a headache for the person who's signing you in and out.

sheaaat. I rather them get the headache than us from people walking about. Kind of ridiculous. When I wrote the gmat it was everyone starting and stopping at the same time. Well better to know now i guess.

thanks

sv3

Archived