Premed 101 Forums

5.0 full courseload but each course = 2.0 course load

I have some courses that are 2 full year credits each.

one course taken = 2.0 full year credit/ 4 half year credit

Therefore, I take two courses in one semester, but one course = 4 half year credit and the other course is regular 1 half year credit.

How would medical school take this into account?

I have some courses that are 2 full year credits each.

one course taken = 2.0 full year credit/ 4 half year credit

Therefore, I take two courses in one semester, but one course = 4 half year credit and the other course is regular 1 half year credit.

How would medical school take this into account?

You are fine as long as the equivalent course weight per academic year is 5.0 full credits. I had some greater weight than normal courses as well.

GPA wise the courses are scaled in the calculation as well.

I share your sentiments exactly:p , rmorelan goes out of his way to help any and all of us as often as possible. I know rmorelan will make a great and caring physician.

gosh sucks....:o helping is a big part of what the forum is about. The other part is stress relief :)

lol and he chose western, you'll be bleeding purple in no time (<- good thing)

Just a question, don't know if this is related to the OP's point, I know I had a course in first year that was considered 2.0 or 2 full year credits at western, but OMSAS (after I called) only counted it as one, they told me that they only go by course length (i.e. full year, half year, 3/4 year etc.) even if the undergrad school has a different way of counting it.

lol and he chose western, you'll be bleeding purple in no time (<- good thing)

Just a question, don't know if this is related to the OP's point, I know I had a course in first year that was considered 2.0 or 2 full year credits at western, but OMSAS (after I called) only counted it as one, they told me that they only go by course length (i.e. full year, half year, 3/4 year etc.) even if the undergrad school has a different way of counting it.

I would check with the individual schools you are / plan on applying to. I had to call OMSAS a couple times last year, and I found their answers to be very vague. I got much better responses from the schools I was applying to, since they are the ones ultimately making the decisions on your file.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure they actually made the right call there...all they care about is length of study.

From the instruction booklet:

Courses are weighted according to the length of study.

Full-year course: weight of 2

Half-year course: weight of 1

Semester course: weight of 1

Three-quarter course: weight of 1.5

Quarter course: weight of 0.7 (American universities only)

If a science laboratory is graded separately, and is weighted as

less than a half-year/semester course, the OMSAS course length

is 0.5.

But: That would just be what they would use for GPA calcs, doesn't mean you'll still not considered to be taking a full course load, by say westerns standards, I agree though, most of the time it is just best to call or e-mail.

I'm pretty sure they actually made the right call there...all they care about is length of study.

From the instruction booklet:

Courses are weighted according to the length of study.

Full-year course: weight of 2

Half-year course: weight of 1

Semester course: weight of 1

Three-quarter course: weight of 1.5

Quarter course: weight of 0.7 (American universities only)

If a science laboratory is graded separately, and is weighted as

less than a half-year/semester course, the OMSAS course length

is 0.5.

But: That would just be what they would use for GPA calcs, doesn't mean you'll still not considered to be taking a full course load, by say westerns standards, I agree though, most of the time it is just best to call or e-mail.

Thanks dude

Let me try to understand this situation... if I take 1 course that is worth 4 credits and 1 course that is worth 1 credit in one semester, then the medical school, then medical school will only look at the GPA of that 1 credit worth course for that entire semester?

I think I need to call the medical schools.

Very confusing.

Thanks dude

Let me try to understand this situation... if I take 1 course that is worth 4 credits and 1 course that is worth 1 credit in one semester, then the medical school, then medical school will only look at the GPA of that 1 credit worth course for that entire semester?

I think I need to call the medical schools.

Very confusing.

Yeah it is a bit messed - I guess the thing is there are normally very few multi credit courses at most schools/programs. Makes me glad waterloo breaks some of its similar courses into 2,3 or 4 separate sub courses each of normal weight. Avoids this problem.

The part I am having problems understanding is why OMSAS isn't just taking the course weights as a given from the various schools. Why create a different weighting system?

Archived