Premed 101 Forums

Maximum number of first year courses?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of first year courses you can take in regards to medical school requirements? I recall reading somewhere that the maximum number was 16 first year courses or something like that throughout a 4 year undergrad but can someone clarify this? Thanks a lot

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of first year courses you can take in regards to medical school requirements? I recall reading somewhere that the maximum number was 16 first year courses or something like that throughout a 4 year undergrad but can someone clarify this? Thanks a lot

Nothing specific in the OMSAS guidelines, although schools that review your entire app (like Toronto) might get a bit concerned if you have dozens of disconnected first year courses all over the place :)

It is 48 units at mac. I'm hoping to find a way around this because it is completely awful for me.

I need 18 units of kin for first year, plus 6 each of bio, physics, chem, calc and english to satisfy med school requirements, plus six units of introductory courses so I can take physics and chem, plus I wanted to continue Italian from High School. It works out to 60 units of Level One Courses, which I was planning on solving using summer school and overloading second year.

Otherwise i'm up the creek without a paddle. The only thing I can do is drop Italian (really want to avoid this), and do upper level english courses as electives.

The moral of the story is. Go talk to your academic advisor, because they'll know (while the rest of us are sorting out our own messes).

I know what you mean, I am in second year kinesiology at mac. First year courses taken in the summer also count towards the 48 units so summerschool/overloading won't solve anything. Btw, do you need textbooks for first year kin? PM me if you do

It is 48 units at mac. I'm hoping to find a way around this because it is completely awful for me.

I need 18 units of kin for first year, plus 6 each of bio, physics, chem, calc and english to satisfy med school requirements, plus six units of introductory courses so I can take physics and chem, plus I wanted to continue Italian from High School. It works out to 60 units of Level One Courses, which I was planning on solving using summer school and overloading second year.

Otherwise i'm up the creek without a paddle. The only thing I can do is drop Italian (really want to avoid this), and do upper level english courses as electives.

The moral of the story is. Go talk to your academic advisor, because they'll know (while the rest of us are sorting out our own messes).

what happens if you take more than 48? At many schools they won't count towards the degree, but that doesn't actually mean you cannot take them.

I have found it is pretty amazing what rule you can get around if you have advisors on your side. My degree at Waterloo required talking a bunch of them and doing quite a bit of "bending" of some of the rules (all for a good cause :))

Archived