Premed 101 Forums

Foreign student loans/grants?

Hey guys, so I'm an international student trying to attend med school in canada. I was wondering if any of you are aware of any loans/grants/fin aid programs that might help me pay for med school.

I've already gotten into uoft and another canadian school, but unfortunately I really don't have the money to pay for it (like getting in wasn't hard enough).

So far, I've checked with all the major banks, and they won't give me a loan unless I have a canadian cosigner, which I don't :(

I've checked with my home country/banks and they really don't have any such options either.

So I'm kinda lost, and I might just end up declining my offers.

Thanks, any help/advice would be appreciated.

I can't think of any. I was in the same situation when I was doing my undergrad in the US, and I was able to obtain a small loan directly through my school. Since you've already tried the bank routes, I think contacting the schools directly is the only option left. You never know, they might have some sort of loans available, maybe even grants. But I have no idea how you'd pay for living expenses and such, especially if you are not able to work. You might wanna look into deferring and trying to get your permanent residency in the meantime, since that'd help you with both government and bank loans (no cosigner is required if you are a permanent resident).

I can't think of any. I was in the same situation when I was doing my undergrad in the US, and I was able to obtain a small loan directly through my school. Since you've already tried the bank routes, I think contacting the schools directly is the only option left. You never know, they might have some sort of loans available, maybe even grants. But I have no idea how you'd pay for living expenses and such, especially if you are not able to work. You might wanna look into deferring and trying to get your permanent residency in the meantime, since that'd help you with both government and bank loans (no cosigner is required if you are a permanent resident).

Hey, thanks for the advice. I did try and think about that and inquire about immigrating. I would probably need a job in my field (life sci) which is virtually impossible these days. Even if I did get the job, the permanent residency route would probably take another 3 years atleast, and I don't really think any school would hold a spot for me for that reason :(

Hey, thanks for the advice. I did try and think about that and inquire about immigrating. I would probably need a job in my field (life sci) which is virtually impossible these days. Even if I did get the job, the permanent residency route would probably take another 3 years atleast, and I don't really think any school would hold a spot for me for that reason :(

Get married (I'm serious). You can find someone for about 10K. Not a simple game to play, but could be worth it.

I wish it was that easy. I've been trying to find cosigners to help me out but its surprising difficult :(

Getting married is easier, trust me. Go on craigslist.org, you can find someone who's looking for a marriage of convenience without too much effort. You get permanent residency very quickly via this route.

• 4 weeks later...
no offense, but why would you apply as an international student if you didn't think of this in advance?

also in the same boat. I'm lucky I am able to somehow manage to pay for it. UT boasts to have the largest int. student body in north america and claims to financially support international students. I talked to my registrar and she said I would get more than what i was getting for undergrad (it turned out to be the other way).

• 4 weeks later...

Lol i think jochi has the best suggestion. And i think for a med student, being a doctor is more important at this point in his life. Are you able to pay for a semester? If yes, you can find some1 in that much time.

I saw that mcmasters fee for international students is 90 000. Seriously, i can understand if the tuition fee is double for an international student but four times as much is just crazy.

Archived