Premed 101 Forums

Possibility of Commuting Home on Weekends

I was wondering if a current med school student could give me an opinion on how feasible it is to travel back home on weekends, say from Kingston to Toronto.

Do most medical students just stay in Kingston on weekends for studying, shadowing, etc.? Or, is it realistic to be able to commute more frequently?

Around what time are classes usually done on Friday afternoons?

Also along these lines, are there any good discount fares on buses or VIA Rail for frequent users? students?

Any help or opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance

The 3 most common ways of commuting from Kingston to Toronto are by car, Coach Canada, or the Via rail. There's also a bus service done by the Queen's AMS in conjunction with Coach Canada. The AMS website is down right now, but I seem to recall that their bus tickets are $35 for a one-way.

The majority of students stay in Kingston during the weekends, but there are a handful of students that commute back and forth every weekend.

Classes typically finish by noon on Fridays, although there are occasional days when you'll have an expanded clinical session that may last until 4:30pm.

I don't know what your circumstances are or your reasons for wanting to go to Toronto regularly, but splitting your time between the two cities can be exhausting and isolating. What gets you through med school—it's difficult, by the way—are the friendships you develop, particularly on the weekends.

That being said, round trip bus is about $70 (Coach Canada/AMS) and 3.5 hours, train $130 and 2.5 hours.

Archived