Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Notes

What exactly is Toronto Notes? What is it used for? Who can benefit from it? More importantly, can it be useful for a pre med student who has not yet started med school but is interested in getting exposed to the material? It looks like it is being sold for 152$ right now. Is all of the content contained in one big book?

Thanks

More importantly, can it be useful for a pre med student who has not yet started med school but is interested in getting exposed to the material?

No.

(entering text because just writing no is apparently too short to post)

Hell no. It's far to brief to be of use to someone as primary material. And probably to complex for someone without a medical background. Medicine is like learning to speak a different language.

Enjoy life. Medicine will have plenty of time to ruin it later. Why start early?

Toronto Notes are typically used as review for final year medical students in preparation for the licensing exams. Without a background in medicine, some information might be a bit hard to understand, but you could still take a look through it for a general idea of a few things a medical student might learn. Don't bother buying the package - you can usually check out the Toronto Notes from your library or your uni's med library!! There are plenty of other books available that will expose you to medical material that are written for a bit more of a general audience too (ie. medical terminology texts)!!

What exactly is Toronto Notes? What is it used for? Who can benefit from it? More importantly, can it be useful for a pre med student who has not yet started med school but is interested in getting exposed to the material? It looks like it is being sold for 152$ right now. Is all of the content contained in one big book?

Thanks

Oh yeah, totally go for it. Buy 3. One to put in a glass case, another to study, and finally - another to eat. It will help you digest the material, allowing for greater, deeper retention of long, meaningless lists of information for which you have no true physiological understanding.

Honestly, are you serious?

Oh yeah, totally go for it. Buy 3. One to put in a glass case, another to study, and finally - another to eat. It will help you digest the material, allowing for greater, deeper retention of long, meaningless lists of information for which you have no true physiological understanding.

1234 FTW!:P

Keener Alert!

StarTrekscreensaver_RedAlert.jpg

(sorry couldn't help myself)

You forgot the 4th copy, for rectal insertion.

dude, stop discouraging sales :D

What is your problem? The guy was just looking for some information on something he heard about. What is it to you if s/he wants to do some reading before starting school? I can't believe how many douchebag responses were posted to a pretty reasonable question. If you're just going to be rude to the kid, why not keep it to yourself?

I was interested to find out about Toronto Notes as well (for the sake of interest).

Hi bbb,

The Toronto Notes are a series of review notes put together every year by students at the University of Toronto. Many medical students rely heavily on these notes when it comes to studying for the LMCC. They're also useful for brushing up on subspecialty topics prior to clinical rotations.

However, I would not recommend this purchase for pre-meds. Firstly, the Notes are quite expensive, and, when you enter medical school, you'll be tempted to buy an updated version. Secondly, the Toronto Notes are a great review for those who already have an appreciation of the topics at hand, but are not good for those seeking an introduction to those topics. The Notes consist largely of lists without context. (The context is provided by attending classes at medical school, reading textbooks etc.) I did not find the Toronto Notes useful until I entered the third year of medical school! If you're looking for good reviews, perhaps try checking out some good old textbooks from the library!

Best of luck,

Kate

Come on guys, is it necessary to have such an overbearing tone of abrasiveness in your replies?

What are you going to do when your patients question your medical advice on the basis of something they googled on the internet? Are you going to shamelessly berate them as well?

Shame on you.

It's a little over the top to be asking about buying Toronto Notes as a pre-med, but did it deserve that strong of a response? Aren't we all in / applying to medical school because we have an interest in medicine, and maybe even enjoy learning about it?

What is your problem? The guy was just looking for some information on something he heard about. What is it to you if s/he wants to do some reading before starting school? I can't believe how many douchebag responses were posted to a pretty reasonable question. If you're just going to be rude to the kid, why not keep it to yourself?

I was interested to find out about Toronto Notes as well (for the sake of interest).

calm down bro

Calling a 20something a kid is pretty arrogant on your part. Hiding behind your own self-righteousness, you tend to forget about the egotism brewing within.

Egotism? Give me a break.

Person asks a legit question and numerous people offer stupid responses, so I called them on it. I doubt my calling the person "kid" is more offensive than the arrogant responses, but if so - my apologies.

I didn't purchase TO Notes until midway through 3rd year and as a result have not used the book for much more than a quick reference or review of a certain topic (versus people who studied with it and took notes within it during the preclinical years). It would be a reasonable purchase at either time - near the end of medical school for exam review with an updated edition, or near the beginning of medical school so that you can make full use of its contents, depending on which is more important to you.

If you're looking to learn about medicine as a pre-med, learning about how healthcare works in Canada would be a good start. Go to the CBC website and download the podcasts for "White Coat, Black Art". They talk about a whole smattering of issues in medicine, hosted by an ED physician from Toronto.

Learn about who's in healthcare. During interviews, I was saddened by the number of people who only mentioned doctors and nurses when asked about teamwork. There are physiotherapists, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists, unit clerks, phlebotomists, nurse practitioners, social workers, psychologists, x-ray technologists, dietitians, etc. who all take part in the choreographed dance that is patient care. Learn about what they do and where they fit in the continuum of healthcare.

Read about how people access care in Canada, how doctors are paid (and how that differs from other members of the healthcare team), how health care is administered in Canada, etc.

That's a way better use of your time than learning how to calculate the anion gap or look for blips on an ECG strip.

Archived