Premed 101 Forums

prometric test centre questions

2011hope

I'm going to be writing the mcat this summer at a prometric test centre o dufferin near finch. Has anybody here written there? If so, how was it? What is it like? I'm planning on going there to check it out but anything you can tell me would be good.

Things I want to know in particular are:

1) how many people are in the room writing with you?

2) are we provided with scrap paper and pencils/something to write with?

3) are we provided with headsets/earplugs to block out noise/distractions?

4) what kind of computer monitors do they use? With modern monitors (lcd displays) I get headaches and nausea when I look at them for more than a few minutes. I have a big old tube monitor at home because after spending a lot of money on the new slim lcds over the years I have always gotten sick using them. So I am concerned about this.

5) Is it possible to go and start the exam early? My exam is scheduled for 12:00pm but if I come in early would they let me start or do I have to wait for everyone else and for the appointed time. If they do let me start early, how early could I go?

i wrote at a prometrics center once, not the one you are writing at but it was horrrible... the people there did not know wtf was going on. registration was so late (at least 1-1.5hours late)

They filled the rooms so strangely too, like 1 in each room first before they put another in, so when i was 1/2 through my first section people were still coming in and starting.. i dont understand the rationale behind the staggering...

theres not that many ppl in each room, we get pencil and paper that we have to hand in at the end. you get nasty looking headphones from the 80s that didn't really work for me. you dont have to worry about new technology lol! everything at my center was >10 yrs old

i wrote at a prometrics center once, not the one you are writing at but it was horrrible... the people there did not know wtf was going on. registration was so late (at least 1-1.5hours late)

They filled the rooms so strangely too, like 1 in each room first before they put another in, so when i was 1/2 through my first section people were still coming in and starting.. i dont understand the rationale behind the staggering...

theres not that many ppl in each room, we get pencil and paper that we have to hand in at the end. you get nasty looking headphones from the 80s that didn't really work for me. you dont have to worry about new technology lol! everything at my center was >10 yrs old

That sounds terrible! People constantly walking in would definitely distract me, hope it's not as bad at the Hamilton center! And waiting for 1.5 hours?!? Brutal.

That sounds terrible! People constantly walking in would definitely distract me, hope it's not as bad at the Hamilton center! And waiting for 1.5 hours?!? Brutal.

I wrote at the Hamilton Prometric Centre. My experience was that it took 1 minute to get signed in; the lady who signs you in is super friendly and about 7 feet tall (ok, maybe slight exaggeration, lol), the computers were kinda old looking, but no distractions or anything. You can start the exam as soon as you are signed in, so some people do come a little later than you, but not much later. The only negative aspect about the place (apart from the fact that the computers were kinda old and ugly) was the HEADPHONES. Trust me - they literally fell off my face and were very uncomfortable :(

I did not write at the test centre you wrote at, but I can answer some questions in general.

1) how many people are in the room writing with you?

I wrote twice, so I know it varies according to test site. At Ottawa, it was no more than 5 other people for me. They spread you out.

2) are we provided with scrap paper and pencils/something to write with?

Every single test centre is supposed to provide you with paper and pencil. If you don't have it, complain immediately. For me, it was a pad of lined paper and two wooden pencils, which I sharpened during each break,

3) are we provided with headsets/earplugs to block out noise/distractions?

Every test centre is supposed to provide either headsets or earplugs. I got headsets, and didn't find them that bad. By the end of BS though, I took them off because my ears were getting uncomfortable.

The Ottawa test site had a loud fan in the ceiling, but that quickly faded to the background.

4) what kind of computer monitors do they use? With modern monitors (lcd displays) I get headaches and nausea when I look at them for more than a few minutes.

This is really really interesting. You'd think the old tube monitors would give your more trouble because the old ones flicker more.

Anyways, the monitor varies according to test site.

Last year, at the Ottawa Willis College test site, they were all old beige tube monitors. If it's still like that this year, maybe consider going there if this nausea thing is serious.

5) Is it possible to go and start the exam early?

In my experience (two diff test sites), you start earlier if you show up earlier.

Time yourself properly, though. Take into consideration how hungry/tired you'll be at certain times of the day.

Also, I made sure I did every single practice test at the exact same time of day as my real test, in order to train myself and test out different snack foods at break time (I realize that sounds slightly neurotic, but rituals like that comfort me).

+++

Another thing to check out that might be helpful is whether or not the mice have scroll wheels. I'd assume most would have them, but it's good to check out just in case.

Archived