Premed 101 Forums

My reference asked me to write the first draft of the LOC

Hi guys. My research supervisor asked me to write the first draft of the reference letter that he is going to provide me. Um, should I do it?

If the answer to the above question is yes, what should I include in it?

My supervisor never taught me a course, but I think his reputation and strong support will make a good additional LORs. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Damn! I meant LOR in the title, I was thinking of something else when I wrote that...

Lucky you....YES YES YES...

My friend had the same honor last year...

include your duties, how you excelled, worked independently and well with others, focused, patient..etc...how he was impressed with your work, and that he feels that you would make an outstanding contribution to the medical community based on....

If you can think of a characteristic that may not be included in your other letter of references...add it..

YOU ARE SO LUCKY..

(just remember though that he may edit...letters are sent directly and sealed)

Hi guys. My research supervisor asked me to write the first draft of the reference letter that he is going to provide me. Um, should I do it?

If the answer to the above question is yes, what should I include in it?

My supervisor never taught me a course, but I think his reputation and strong support will make a good additional LORs. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Damn! I meant LOR in the title, I was thinking of something else when I wrote that...

Just do a responsible, accurate and strong letter touching on all those qualities of which your supervisor is aware that would tend to show you will make a good med student and excellent, caring physician who he want to go to b/c........

Somewhere on the McGill wbsite, there is a pdf of the blank Mcgill Confidential Assessment Form that hits on the qualities they desire. Other med schools may have similar documents available. And to personalize the Letter, your Supervisor can give examples that validate the strong recommendation. The LOR should, if possible, be one page; otherwise, one page and a bit.

And your Supervivsor will sign it so long as it is accurate, otherwise changes will be made, but this will be used as the starting point. Use this opportunity well and good luck.

I thought it was just my supervisor being lazy/busy :rolleyes:.

This is likely the case. But better you do a "strong" draft than a busy supervisor not do a good job due to being too busy to give it the attention it deserves.

I know of a case where a weak LOR was inadvertently given for a great candidate, only due to inattention. These things are of far greater importance to us than anybody else, most referees are busy and this can work against us (and we never know what was sent about us).

I will be asking one prof who hardly knows me, other than I am an A+ student in her course to write me a LOR. I will be bringing to her a copy of my transcript (so she realizes I am a consistent A student in my major and electives), my CV (so she can see at a glance my ECs and volunteering, work experience, etc.) and a Personal Statement (for one of my applications) that she can read or ignore, I have no control.

I also intend to have a 'draft LOR' ready to give to her (should the discussion go the way I like, I would tell her that I have prepared a draft for her consideration and to save her time that is entirely validated by the documentation I have given to her).

I have potential referees who know me extremely well, clinical supervisors, EMS management, coaches for long-term activities where I excel...but no prof knows me really, all they know are my marks and I occasionally ask intelligent questions, not nearly enough for a strong reference. So, I will go to one prof and ask for a "strong" reference (if its not strong it will likely do me harm), listen to her reply and depending, I will give my handouts slowly; if I am unhappy with her initial response, I will draw back and approach another prof. So, YES, you have a gift to be cherished and used to maximum advantage.

If you like, I would be happy to review your draft on PM, just leave out your last name, and I will respond quickly. Otherwise, have a trusted person give their seal of approval.

I hear ya. Though the 2 profs I'm using though have both written me (one) successful reference letters in the past. One for OMSAS, and one for a travel grant for research (though I was a shoo-in already for that). The latter prof I'm doing a little project for right now and I should be able to meet him next week and ask him for the LOR. The former prof is God-knows-where (possibly on sabbatical or on another campus) and will hopefully respond to my email soon. :eek:

Unfortunately these profs are very secretive about their reference letters, which is typical of UofT profs in general.

I have the same "problem" with some of my referees who is a work colleague/ mentor.. it's really bugging me because she knows me very well yet she is still asking me for "examples" from work.. I have lots of trouble talking about myself. i really hate it but I suppose I have to do it..

so how do you folks normally tackle this? what list of things should the reference letter consist of? I know things like: hard working, compassionate, intelligent.. but what else would you consider focusing on?

As much as you can, reinforce the strength of your letter with anecdotes, examples, and details that show how well the letter writer knows you. This is what separates a truly powerful letter from a form letter that is merely a laundry list of positive attributes.

Be 100% supportive of your candidacy! Do not feel like you should include mild criticisms to make the letter more realistic. If your letter writer wants to alter the tone, they will be able to do that later.

Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher is a good resource (there is a chapter on LOR).

Archived