Premed 101 Forums

my chances?!

Hey all, i just registered and this is my first post. Hopefully I'll get lots of feedbacks. I majored in molecular biology and right now I'm doing a course work masters (almost finished). I don't have the hottest GPA right now and am WORRIED!

Background:

Avg undergrad is 3.05 cGPA, pretty much the same for sciGPA

Physiology masters - 3.51 GPA

SO question is, do I even have chances? If so, how crazy high does my DAT score needs to be for me to be accepted into canadian dental schools? Which one(s)?

I have done quite a bit of research with three different labs (for eight months each, one of them being an oral cancer research lab), and did co-op at two biopharma companies (also, 8 mos each)

Worked as a dental assistant for 2.5 years

LOTS of extracurricular activities

THANKS A LOT GUYS in advance!

I think you have a shot. My friend actually did 2 years of dental hygienist before applying to dental school. He said he was going to apply as a special student.

At which university did you do your Physiology masters? Did you get any awards, scholarships etc?How productive were you while doing your MSc(how many papers did you publish)?

I think you have a shot. My friend actually did 2 years of dental hygienist before applying to dental school. He said he was going to apply as a special student.

At which university did you do your Physiology masters? Did you get any awards, scholarships etc?How productive were you while doing your MSc(how many papers did you publish)?

Thanks for your reply, Tina.

I am doing mine at SFU. It's a course work masters program, where you don't start your research until the last couple of semesters, and that's what I'm doing now. I got an NSERC award, but nothing else... so I'll have to nail the DAT to increase my chances. It would be ideal if I could get into UBC, but if I have a better shot at another school, I will definitely give it a try.

oh BTW, I have never heard about 'special student' category. Do you know by any chance what the advantages of applying as a special student would be?

Thanks!!

As a person from ontario I only have experience with ontario schools. Schools in other provinces might be slightly easier to get into but honestly getting into dent anywhere in Canada is hard.

I hate to say this but your grades don't look very competitive. The mean gpa for accepted applicants for UWO and UofT is around 3.9.

If your undergrad GPA is unbalanced with an upward trend (you have very good 2 last years) then there may be hope dependent on where you apply.

Also, look for schools that want Masters students.

Unfortunately I don't think Canadian schools value the DAT very much :(. UWO and UofT is around 10-15%. Not sure about others.

Have you considered the states? With a masters I think you should have a decent shot at American schools. They are usually very expensive but it's possible and has been done. Look into that.

Best of luck

I agree with seann

Where did you get your masters? I would say that on average, my grad school gpa and undergrad gpa is in the mid to high 3.8's and, as I'm sure many of you know, i'm wait listed at #2 (ha ha). I had a decent DAT and lots of extra curriculars as well

Good luck

seann, thanks for your comments. Yes, I did apply for those in the states, and got two interviews and waitlisted in one of them. Technically, I'm still on the waitlist, but I think the sits are all filled now. I'm looking into canadian schools this time because last year, I didn't apply to the Canadian ones and I really don't want to spend whole lot of money again. I guess I should reapply to the american ones??

Thanks mach. Did they tell you that you were ranked #2? Where are you waitlisted? That's great. I wish they (americans) did, too. I'm pretty sure you will get in. :)

I did my masters at SFU. BTW, what was your DAT score like?

I agree with seann

Where did you get your masters? I would say that on average, my grad school gpa and undergrad gpa is in the mid to high 3.8's and, as I'm sure many of you know, i'm wait listed at #2 (ha ha). I had a decent DAT and lots of extra curriculars as well

Good luck

How much hope do I have with 3.81 last 2 years and 3.7 last 3/cumulative GPA? I have yet to write the DAT.

Mach - you're wait listed at UT right...not UWO :S?

hi guys, i'm new here.

What do you think my chances are for american schools?

just finished 3rd year in BSc

gpa 3.1

wrote both US DAT and CDN DAT with scores of 19+ in each section

lots of volunteer and research experience

submitted aadsas app not too long ago

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Realistically (and sorry if this sounds ****ish), but dont you need to have above 3.85 to have a good chance, and above 3.7 to have ANY chance?

*Ontario schools only.

they are talking about american schools.

saycheese was asking about his/her chances at american schools.

• 3 weeks later...
they are talking about american schools.

saycheese was asking about his/her chances at american schools.

Hey guys, what are my chances to go into dental school in Quebec. I have a major in Occupational therapy with a 3.6/4 GPA at McGill (3.8 last 2 years). Another question, when do we have to do the TAED exam to enter dental school for next year (2010). Do we need to take the exam before applying to dental school?

Thank you very much

3.0 is competitive?? How...? Isn't that quite low? :confused:

Yeah 3.0 is competitive in the US for dental schools. Ok well its not competitive but if you have over a 3.0 GPA you CAN get into Dental school in the US. For quite a bit of schools, a 3.5 is very sufficient given you have extracurric's to back yourself up and a good DAT score. I've heard of quite a few (8-9) people get in with low 3 GPA's like 3.2-3.3 paired with great DAT scores and good EC's. It's too competitive here.

The thing is, like lots of people said before, US dental schools cost mad money $$$$$ compared to Canadian schools. However, the average income of a dentist in the US is about double that of Canadian ones, therefore if you go through dental school in the states it would probably be a bit more advantageous to stay there and practice, unless of course you want to be close to home.

However, the average income of a dentist in the US is about double that of Canadian ones, therefore if you go through dental school in the states it would probably be a bit more advantageous to stay there and practice, unless of course you want to be close to home.

This is news to me, where did you get this from?

From what I've seen and heard, the average income is almost the same...

I've heard of quite a few (8-9) people get in with low 3 GPA's like 3.2-3.3 paired with great DAT scores and good EC's. It's too competitive here.

Im curious, were these people Americans or Canadians?

predents.com comes in handy for things like this. And I urge any of you canadian applicants to make an account, as it can go a long way in helping others.

I did a search for the 2009 cycle, for International residents (that includes canadians but also people overseas) for those with less than a 3.3 GPA...

here are the results:

http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=search_results&school_mod=any&cycles_form[]=2009&gpa_ltgt=lt&gpa_1=3&gpa_2=3&gpa_3=0&gpa_sci_1=4&gpa_sci_2=0&gpa_sci_3=0&dat_aa_score=30&dat_ts_score=30&dat_chem_score=30&dat_ochem_score=30&dat_bio_score=30&dat_pat_score=30&dat_rc_score=30&dat_qr_score=30&states_id=55&form_user_name_type=is&dir_page=search_results&action=new_search

2 of the 12 got accepted.. hrm, it looks like some of the people haven't updated their profiles though.. so you should look at the users for yourself.. some are international students who went to american university (UC davis, columbia).

but I feel that an american 3.0 goes much farther than a canadian 3.0 GPA...

Hi,

I am also interested in US schools and did alot of research.

Unless you have VERY good extra stuff (acing DAT, crazy shawdow hours), the chances are, 3.0 is not good enough. I know one person who actually got in with 3.0 but he had amazing DAT and over 1k clinic hours.

As a Canadian I think you should have higher than 3.6 with 20 across in DAT for a decent shot. Remember, as Out of State applicants, we are competing with all other students applying outside of that state as well as international students.

But then, you never really know...

Archived