Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys i know this may be redundant and very simple...but i am lost inthe gpa conversion of omsas..

ok i went to mac and i had a thesis course of 9 unit meaning it was equivalent to 3 courses, i got a 3.9 in that, and it was full year , so how would i convert that into omsas

like 3.9 x 3

or

3.9 x 2 x 3 ( full year course according to omsas)

i am very lost

if i just did it the normal way by just converting all my grades for 4thyear to omsas scale of 4.0 then total is 37.4/40 = which is a 93.5% but what score will omsas take will my cumulative average for this year be 3.74 or 4.0?

sorri am really lost

haha

P.S here is my mark list for reference

need help please thanks

A+ 12 half year

A- 10 half year

A- 10 half year

A 11 half year

A- 10 half year

A- 10 half year

B 8 half year

A 11 ( this is the thesis course) full year

Hi there! I am sure we can figure this out :)

I am a little confused by the mark list at the end there, what do the numbers after the letter grades refer to. I guess I am trying to translate that to courses per semester(so OMSAS conversion can be applied), but I am not sure how McMaster does that. Checking their website it looks like there are 30units normally per year? Is that 3 units per course?

Sorry to respond to your question, with a question :)

Hey guys i know this may be redundant and very simple...but i am lost inthe gpa conversion of omsas..

ok i went to mac and i had a thesis course of 9 unit meaning it was equivalent to 3 courses, i got a 3.9 in that, and it was full year , so how would i convert that into omsas

like 3.9 x 3

or

3.9 x 2 x 3 ( full year course according to omsas)

i am very lost

if i just did it the normal way by just converting all my grades for 4thyear to omsas scale of 4.0 then total is 37.4/40 = which is a 93.5% but what score will omsas take will my cumulative average for this year be 3.74 or 4.0?

sorri am really lost

haha

P.S here is my mark list for reference

need help please thanks

A+ 12 half year

A- 10 half year

A- 10 half year

A 11 half year

A- 10 half year

A- 10 half year

B 8 half year

A 11 ( this is the thesis course) full year

Sorri the marks in front of the list are the mcmater grading scheme..and

normally a one semester coruse( half year course) is 3 units and in this case my thesis course is 9 unit but it was from september to april term.

i hope that clarifies your question

thanks for the prompt replies :D

I think your grade will be 3.74. I know a guy from mac and he said that they looked at all his grades based on the number of equivalent courses they corresponded to. Therefore, getting an A in the thesis course would be like getting 3 "A"s in 3 half year courses. So, for the year you would have: A+, A-, A-, A, A-, A-, B, 3A(thesis). That equals 3.74 on the OMSAS conversion scale.

However, I'm sure there's a way to call or email OMSAS for further clarification.

Sorri the marks in front of the list are the mcmater grading scheme..and

normally a one semester coruse( half year course) is 3 units and in this case my thesis course is 9 unit but it was from september to april term.

i hope that clarifies your question

thanks for the prompt replies :D

ahh ok, that makes sense! All of these courses are then from one year then? According to the OMSAS conversion chart for McMaster As are 3.9, A+ are 4.0, A- are 3.7, and finally a B is 3.0. Normally the way it works is you compute the GPA for each course, sum them together, and then divide by the number courses. This assumes all of the courses are weighted the same, but you have that thesis course. According to OMSAS that course is given double weight (there is some discussion resently about this though, as it would seem more logical that it would count as 3 courses. However the OMSAS rules seem to dispute this. Definitely something we need to schools to comment on!).

If so I think your GPA would be:

Course GPA

A+ 12 half year 4

A- 10 half year 3.7

A- 10 half year 3.7

A 11 half year 3.9

A- 10 half year 3.7

A- 10 half year 3.7

B 8 half year 3

A 11 ( this is the thesis course) full year 7.8 (full year course so 2x)

Sum 33.5

And this is over 9 course weights as per OMSAS rules. This gives an average of:

Average 3.72

That B is clearly dragging you down a bit, but at least that is just one course! Hope I didn't make a mistake there but that seems to be the GPA. Now if we are misunderstanding the OMSAS rules (again there is a bit of dispute about this right now :)) then your GPA would be 3.74.

Archived