Premed 101 Forums

MD with STIR

What is your opinion/personal experience with this program? I heard from a current student that there doesn't seem to be any bonus to getting the STIR by doing research over 2 summers as opposed to engaging in research that is not officially recognized on one's diploma, but I want to know how other people feel about this. I understand that doing 2 full summers of research makes it more complicated to gain more clinical experience, since you lose so much time that could be spent on shadowing. Not to mention, you basically don't get any time off during these 2 summers, and that's your last chance to have a decent vacation before clerkship/residency. Is it worth it, in your opinion?

A lot of people did STIR using the summer before med school and the summer after 1st year.

Although I devoted the summer after 1st year med to research, I hadn't done research during the summer before med school, and like you, wanted to spend more time on clinical experiences the summer after 2nd year med, so I didn't do STIR.

I figured the research experience itself was the main point, and that would already be on one's CV. As for the extra STIR requirements, I had similar experiences with presenting my undergrad honours thesis to a committee.

No, it doesn't hurt if you don't do it (since, many MDs have not heard of it both at the U of A and beyond) . And no, it's not a huge benefit if you do it (but, it is something you're free to highlight during interviews, on your resume, etc.).

In reality, for CaRMs purposes, the best way of demonstrating your aptitude for research is by abstracts, publications, and presentations. So, however you decide to achieve these things, if at all, is fine (e.g. research during the year, during the summer, before clerkship, during clerkship, etc.)

Archived