Premed 101 Forums

Where to live...where to live.......hmm

Hey everyone,

Does anybody know of any websites that show apartments for rent? something like myhood.ca (for toronto) in Ottawa?

Which area would you guys suggest for someone who doesn't want to live too far away from campus, but doesnt want to live downtown? (preferrably somewhere pretty);)

glebe area is nice, trendy, older area with great old houses made into apartments...lots of coffee shops, local stores, restaurants etc.all.within walking distance....is close to Civic Hospital..would have to bus or drive to campus..

location...off Bank Street...between 1st ave and 5th ave..

you can call a real estate agent in Ottawa...they do rentals too, and you do not get charged...the owner pays ...many apts in older homes are rented that way..(well four years ago anyway)

Ottawa's med school is at the General Hospital, not their downtown campus, isn't it? So, you wouldn't have to live that close to downtown. The alta vista or riverside areas are nice, and they're both close to the General. I'm not sure about the price, but they definitly wouldn't be as expensive as the glebe.

hey tell your friend to look for places on craiglist.org and kijiji.ca

i've been hounding these sites for the past week looking for a decent place with a good location

there are a lot of postings for the downtown area, but since the medschool is a little far from downtown I wasnt really interested in those postings

Just for those from out of town.

Downtown in not that far from RGN! I lived on the canal in an area called the "golden triangle" for all 4 years of med school. I don`t know about buses, but with a car it took me 10-15 min to get to school. Not unreasonable at all.

I had the canal just accross the street (great for running, walking, skating, biking), now with the footbridge - could easily cross over to the main campus (not where med school is, but where student health services is, as well as OSAP etc if you don`t pick it up when they are at RGN), 20 min walk to the main part of the glebe, 15 min walk to the market, and restaurants etc on Elgin a couple blocks away. About the same distance from civic and general/cheo (10-15 min each...and I tool the scenic route to get to the civic rather than the highway which would have been faster)

So...I wouldn`t rule out being downtown. And if you find a great spot like I did, your quality of life can be pretty good! However, it will be a bit pricier to live there than the alta vista area.

Hey everyone,

I'm a med 2013er and have just bought a house at 524 Braydon ave (5 minute walk from the house to Roger Guindon Hall (where all of our classes are) [timed from door to door]).

My new place has 4 bedrooms, 2 full washrooms, kitchen, living room and family room, backyard open to green space, central air, laundry facilities, etc.

I am looking to fill the house with 3 good, easygoing roommates. Rent will be $500/month +utilities.

If interested, contact me by email at astew081@uottawa.ca at home at 613-838-9393 or on my cell at 613-277-2134.

Andrew

Nobody mentioned the Lees apartments yet, but they were pretty popular in the past years. It's where I live and I quite enjoy the location. It's not what I'd call a super charming neighbourhood (big high rise buildings and the highway nearby), but 3-4 out of the 5 big apartment buildings there are pretty nice (Bona Vista and Citadel is what 2 of them are called), and you're 10-15 minutes of walk away from downtown, and 30-35 minutes of walk away from RGN (& 10 minutes by bike once you know the best path). The shuttle to RGN stops right in front, as does the bus 16 that takes pretty much the same path as the shuttle, and you're right on the transitway for all the other buses. For people who won't have a car, I think it would be hard to beat the location. The apartments fill up really fast though, so I don't know if there's room left.

Hey everyone,

Does anybody know of any websites that show apartments for rent? something like myhood.ca (for toronto) in Ottawa?

Which area would you guys suggest for someone who doesn't want to live too far away from campus, but doesnt want to live downtown? (preferrably somewhere pretty);)

http://www.residence.uottawa.ca/en/och/index.html

http://www2.carleton.ca/housing/off-campus-housing/

Hi Julie! I agree, I love living at Lees, here is the discussion I posted on the facebook group incase anyone is interested

I currently live in the Lees Ave apartments and love it as it definitely matches my lifestyle... convenient shuttle ride to campus but close enough to downtown...here are my suggestions and some extra helpful info for anyone not from ottawa

Car or No Car...take the shuttle, its free!!:

Even if you have a car, parking is brutal on Ottawa U campuses so my recommendation is to take the shuttle. It loops all day, Mon-Fri, from Ottawa U main campus (downtown/Sandy Hill), to Lees, to st pauls U, and then to RGN the med campus. Its usually fast and convenient

Brrr it's cold in Ottawa:

hahah its freezing in Ottawa...but then again I grew up in Van where it doesnt snow...but if you arent good with cold weather, I dont recommend walking or long commutes, so keep that in mind

Groceries/Shopping/Night Life spots:

Lees is a great spot but it also is about a 10 min transit way trek to shopping centers and groceries...so is living in Sandy Hill area near main campus...

Downtown is great for being close to everything as Mike said but far from campus...

Living near campus is great but its a huge trek to downtown and entertainment spots..

Places to find student housing:

Check out the Ottawa U Housing Bulletin, Carleton U Off Campus housing website, and local housing and rent search engine online

Lees Apartments (In order of approx price):

170 is the cheapest and is all inclusive... there is usually always something available, but its currently under semi construction...I have lived here since Sept and will continue to live here all summer as it is a great price..but I wake up every morning at 7am to drilling, pounding, yelling and the building shaking lol..great wake up call for med school classes :)

180-a bit higher scale than 170 but not much...pool in building but not all inclusive..looks nice from outside but run down inside

190-very nice building, not inclusive, pool, great spacious and nice apartments

169-dishwasher and spacious units with pool but not inclusive,gorgeous apartments but the waitlist is intense

171-my favorite but sooooo expensive and not inclusive...pool, laundry room, hot tub, exercise room in penthouse of building, very nice units...

hope that helps!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
sounds like everyone only talks about living off campus. is living at the u of o residences not an option?

Your best option for Ottawa U residences as a grad or med student would be Hyman Soloway which is at the far end of campus, but it is fairly pricey compared to renting a room in a nice townhouse close to the hospital. As a med student at Ottawa U all of your classes are taken at Roger Guindon/Ottawa General campus so living on the actual Ottawa U campus just isn't practical.

Archived