Premed 101 Forums

Guide to Ontario Medical Schools

With OMSAS season fast approaching I was thinking it might be helpful to condense as much information as possible on Ontario's 6 medical schools. Applying can be an expensive ordeal and it may be helpful to know which schools are your best fit and best hope :cool: .

I was hoping this could become a sort of living document that incorporates OMSAS info/Individual Med School Website Info/ and data accumulated from pm101 over the years. I'll start by posting a basic outline (suggest more headings!) and some of the most public information available. Hopefully people can post their knowledge and experiences and I will update this post as new info becomes available...

Just because a heading says unknown or is blank doesn't mean the information isn't out there, just means I don't know it or haven't got around to posting it. If you have the answer post it below.

Don't forget about the OMSAS guide http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine (McMaster University)

Academic Requirements

GPA: Minimum 3.0 (See Additional Notes)

GPA Calculation Notes: Overall simple average of all undergraduate course work, summer courses included

Academic Requirements: 15 Full Courses or 30 Half-Courses (3 Years)

Pre-Requisites: None

Mean Acceptance GPA (Class of 2011):3.86

Pre-Interview Considerations

32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

MCAT

09/10 Entry First Year Verbal Reasoning Will Be Considered

Geographical Consideration

90% of Interview Spots Allocated to Ontario Residents

Interview Style

Multiple Mini-Interview

Post Interview Considerations

70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

Graduate Degree Considerations

master’s degree holder +.01; PhD degree holder +.04, added to pre-interview formula

Additional Notes

Although 3.0 is the stated cutoff, traditionally much higher GPAs are needed to be competitive pre-interview

This is the first year MCAT is being considered

Northern Ontario School of Medicine

Academic Requirements

GPA: 3.0

GPA Calculation Notes: all grades of undergraduate courses

Academic Requirements: 4-year undergraduate degree

Pre-Requisites: Science applicants expected 2 full courses in Arts, Arts applicants expected 2 full courses in Science

Mean Acceptance GPA : Unknown

Non-Academic Pre-Interview Considerations

Geographic Location, Specific Questions (Unknown)

MCAT

Not Required

"Advantage is given to those applicants from within Northern Ontario, rural and remote areas in the rest of Canada, and Aboriginal and Francophone applicants."

Interview Style

Multiple Mini-Interview

50% Interview

50% divided evenly between

- GPA

- Response to Application Questions

- "Context" (scored out of 10, where 1 point is given for each year lived in the north/rural)

0.2 added to GPA for graduate degree holders

Additional Notes

University of Ottawa

Academic Requirements

GPA: 3.85/4 for OOP (not completely sure)

GPA Calculation Notes: [3(most recent year) + 2(the previous year) + (the previous year)]/6

Academic Requirements: Must have completed at least 2 years of undergrad.

Pre-Requisites: General Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Humanities

Mean Acceptance GPA :

Detailed autobiographical sketch of a max of 48 activities. Only activities completed during post-secondary education are counted.

MCAT

Not considered.

Most interview spots are for Ontario residents. No preference after interview.

Interview Style

Standard Panel Interview

Interview score only

None

Additional Notes

Queen’s University

Academic Requirements

GPA: (don't have good data on this) 3.76 for best two years in 08/09 cycle (PM101 data) cumulative GPA unknown but lower

GPA Calculation Notes: cumulative converted grade point average (GPA) of all years or the average of the most recent two full-time years

Academic Requirements: 15 Full Credits

Pre-Requisites: 1 Full Course each in; Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Humanities

Mean Acceptance GPA :

None

MCAT

Cutoffs No Longer Posted

Minimum For 08/09 From Pm101: 9/10/9 Q (31Total)

None

Interview Style

25-30 Minute Interview, Essay

LOR & Interview

Graduate Review (Being Removed?)

Additional Notes

University of Toronto

Academic Requirements

GPA: Undergraduate 3.6/4.0 minimum, Graduate 3.0/4.0 minimum

GPA Calculation Notes: Summer courses not counted towards GPA, after 3 years of study 1 course per year of study will be removed from the GPA calculation (this does not apply to those students who have just completed 2nd year)

Academic Requirements: at least 3 years of study towards a Canadian university bachelor's degree in any discipline

Pre-Requisites: two full-course equivalents (FCE) in any life science, one FCE in any of social sciences, humanities, or a language

Mean Acceptance GPA : (08) 3.89

Pre-Interview Considerations

"60% of the application is based on academics and the remaining 40% is based on non-academic qualifications"

MCAT

9/9/9 N (used as a flag in 2008 cycle 7s,and Ms have been accepted)

None

Interview Style

Traditional Interview

Yes, http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/md/admissions/0910/requirements/Graduate_Applicants.htm

Additional Notes

From Website (June 09): "The coherence and rigour of the program of study, and the relative standing of the applicant in that program will be assessed in the interpretation of GPA."

According to PM101, they may not consider your non-academic qualifications if you do not meet certain academic qualification 'cutoffs' (i.e. two cycles ago out of 2100 applications ~1600 had non-academic qualifications considered GPA~3.8 should be safe for consideration)

The University of Western Ontario

Academic Requirements

GPA: 3.75 for each of best two years (08/09)

GPA Calculation Notes: 5 best courses considered for each years' GPA calculation, one year must include 3 senior level courses (2nd year and above), courses must correspond to year of study (i.e. 3rd year must have 3, 3rd year courses), one year of GPA above cutoff needed for interview

Academic Requirements: 4 Year Honours Degree

Pre-Requisites: None

Mean Acceptance GPA :

None

MCAT

Non-Swomen: 9/10/11 Q

Swomen: 8/8/8 O (30 Total) (08/09 Cycle)

Southwestern Ontario High School Graduates have different MCAT cutoffs, post-interview advantage unknown/not-public/non-existent

Interview Style

3-Person Traditional Interview (1 Adcom/1 Med Student/1 Community Member ?)

Interview, MCAT

None

Additional Notes

If people can post below or PM me info, I'll keep updating and filling this in as I have time. For sure by the time OMSAS opens this will be a great resource. Also, one thing i'm interested in including is rough estimates of GPA and MCAT interview cutoffs for schools that don't post based on pm101 data, but it's hard to track down easily and trust, if people could post or PM that data with a link, I think that would be helpful.

Also don't forget to propose corrections and alternative headings!

I think it'd be helpful to wait until the beginning to mid July when the new OMSAS info comes out. :)

hehehe some light new reading there, I am sure I am going to go over that doc with a fine tooth comb :)

Good work though, we can just expand this summary if needed when it comes out. I sense possible sticky thread in the future.......

hehehe some light new reading there, I am sure I am going to go over that doc with a fine tooth comb :)

Good work though, we can just expand this summary if needed when it comes out. I sense possible sticky thread in the future.......

Yes, and if you do, UWO will have to start paying you for diverting hundreds of pre-med questions to the admissions office! haha!

Don't think this is up here already for McMaster:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html

2009/10 Formulae

Formula 1 - 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

Don't think this is up here already for McMaster:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html

2009/10 Formulae

Formula 1 - 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

Thanks!

If someone knows a lot about the ottawa procedure and would like to post or PM the info that would be great, I don't know too much about how they operate.

This is what I remember for Ottawa.

University of Ottawa

Academic Requirements

GPA Calculation Notes: [3(most recent year) + 2(the previous year) + (the previous year)]/6

Pre-Requisites: General Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Humanities

Mean Acceptance GPA :

Detailed autobiographical sketch of a max of 48 activities. Only activities completed during post-secondary education are counted.

MCAT

Not considered.

Interview Style

MMI

Interview score only

None

Additional Notes

Ottawa wasn't MMI when I went there this year? Something change?

University of Ottawa

Academic Requirements

Mean Acceptance GPA :

MCAT

Not considered.

Interview Style

MMI

Interview score only

None

Additional Notes

• 4 weeks later...
Going to update this now that new OMSAS is out...

Anyone noticed any big changes?? The MAC questions seem better this year :cool:

Not too much so far that we didn't already know - Mac uses the V.R. and Ottawa drop the graduate route. Significant increase in the number of slots at many schools.

I like the new summary sections at the end of each school's sections. Very organized.

Looks like D-Day for 2010 is May 13th (a thursday) which seems like a better choice than the friday before a long weekend :)

Before I forget - Best of luck to all applying next year!

Looks like D-Day for 2010 is May 13th (a thursday) which seems like a better choice than the friday before a long weekend :)
Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't even noticed the date.

But then again, there always seems to be at least one school that's late in sending out acceptances.

• 1 month later...

I think it would be interesting to put out a time line of what point in the summer classes fill up. I'm sure it jumps around a bit from year to year but it could be helpful to those on the waitlist.

Can people who have gotten notices of their schools filling up pls post the date the e-mail came out and I'll add it too the first page.

• 4 weeks later...

University of Ottawa

Academic Requirements

Mean Acceptance GPA :

MCAT

Not considered.

Interview Style

MMI

Interview score only

None

Additional Notes

the prerequesite is humanities/social science... u actually scared me for a sec there since i hate humanities courses :rolleyes:

and MMI? i thought they had the traditional interview... are they starting that from this year?

the prerequesite is humanities/social science... u actually scared me for a sec there since i hate humanities courses :rolleyes:

and MMI? i thought they had the traditional interview... are they starting that from this year?

I raised that question before - last year it was a standard panel interview, and I don't see anything to indicate that changed :)

Agreed, I'll keep adding info as I find time, for sure when new OMSAS comes out I can post some changes, that being said things rarely change too dramatically from year to year

According to the questions I've been asked for NOSM: < 2500 is considered rural. (That's considered huge here!).

• 2 years later...

Archived