Premed 101 Forums

There are some nice areas fairly close to school that have lots of new condos and townhouses such as University heights, Lakewood and Stonebridge. Another older area with lots of student accommodations is Sutherland. All of the above areas have good access to public transport (all within 30 min bus ride) and are on the same side of the city as the university (East) which is nice because crossing over the bridges during rush hour kinda sucks. That being said there are a lot of condos on 25th street which is immediately across the river from the university. These aren't so bad though because they are within walking distance to school and are essentially right downtown.

You could try looking at the MLS website, it shows a city map with the locations of all available real estate in your price range, the only problem is that is doesn't show rental property

Hope that helps. Just don't leave it to last minute and you should be able to find something. Accommodation hunting can get pretty crazy in August.

I would suggest sticking to areas near the university if you can. Just look at a map. For areas slightly further away, Sutherland isn't the greatest area but it's decent, and it's a really quick bus ride to the university. College Park and East College Park are also a pretty quick bus ride and a bit nicer than Sutherland. Best of luck.

City Park is decent too. I lived on 5th Ave N across from City Hospital for a bit, and I really liked the location. The university and RUH was just down the street and over the bridge. Close to downtown shopping too. Good area if you don't have a car or don't want a long commute to class.

Generally, the North (at least the part I was in) and East ends are considered 'good'.

Rents are pretty steep though. In many cases, you will need a roommate.

Good luck! :)

Archived