Premed 101 Forums

Health Sci or Life Sci at MacMaster or Health Sci or Physiology at Western?

equus

I want to be a family physician. I am nearly 100% sure that this is what I want to do, and right now I need to decide which university to go to for my undergrad and which program to take.

Does anyone have any opinions about these Health Sciences or Life Sciences at MacMaster or Health Sciences or Major in Physiology at Western? Which program is most interesting/easy/would prepare me for med school?

For the people who've taken one of these programs: What is it like? Would you recommend it? Did you get into medical school with this degree?

I've already booked tours at these schools and have done a lot of research about all of these programs, but I want to hear opinions from people who've actually taken these courses.

I graduated from Honors Physiology at the University of Western Ontario and I have nothing but good things to say about the program. It is great if you want to do medicine because it has a lot of relevant knowledge. It is also very good for backup options which you hopefully won't need, but it is also an additional consideration.

I would say Mac Health Sci. I'm in Mac Kin myself and live with a health sci (and his g/f, also a health sci, is always over, so I have a decent idea of what it's like). The program seems like it's an excellent way to develop social skills, research skills, critical thinking skills, and learn interesting information about medicine. If your 100 % sure you want to be a doctor, I would say this program is also good in terms of back ups because you'll be able to do something health care related for sure.

I would say Mac Health Sci. I'm in Mac Kin myself and live with a health sci (and his g/f, also a health sci, is always over, so I have a decent idea of what it's like). The program seems like it's an excellent way to develop social skills, research skills, critical thinking skills, and learn interesting information about medicine. If your 100 % sure you want to be a doctor, I would say this program is also good in terms of back ups because you'll be able to do something health care related for sure.

+1 :)

I just graduated from the program and have only the most positive things to say about it :) Caring faculty, excellent curriculum, etc!

I did Western Health Scil. first year, but now I am switching to medical science, still in Western. Mac Health Sci is a highly reputable course, if you get in, go for it. However, I have nothing bad to say about UWO Health Sci, its an awesome department, the professors give very interesting lectures and the course prepares you nicely for all aspects of medicine, the main health sci course focused on the social aspects of medicine. It introduces you to many ways to look at health besides the bio medical one. Western, as a university, is plain awesome. I've friends going to both western and mac and they love it, although i've seen higher gpas at western.

It's very important to do something that you enjoy. Chances are you will succeed if you like learning the material.

The Mac Health Sciences program is great preparation for medical school, as there are several courses that delve into topics about the Canadian Healthcare system and health policy that might otherwise not be available to you. There is a great debate as to whether Health Science students are pampered through undergrad with an easy program, reflected by their high class average. Others argue that only top students get into the program, which is why the averages are high. Several Health Science students that I've known over the years have quite marginal scores in standardized tests such as the MCAT, but somehow have close to A+ averages, which puzzles me.

Mac Life Science is another program that is often criticized for being easy, because, like the Health Science program offers lots of room for elective courses. The required courses in Life Sci are on the difficult side of the spectrum however, so don't underestimate it.

At the end of the day, anyone can get into Medicine, from any program. You just have to find a way of maintaining a great GPA and a balance of good extracurriculars. There is a difference between possibility and probability. I think the probability of getting into Medical School from the Health Sciences program is higher.

Archived