Premed 101 Forums

MSc (Physiotherapy) + MD?

Hey all,

I'm interested in pursuing both an MD degree as well as MSc physiotherapy degree. From what I can tell, this isn't a common route, but does anyone know if there are opportunities both clinically and business wise by being trained in both disciplines?

Thanks

I am completing my MScPT and will be starting MD in September. I am not 100% sure how the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario feels about dual registrants. Where I can see it running into problems is performing acts that are within an MDs scope of practice but are either restricted or outside the scope of physios. To do so safely I think you would have to run 2 separate practices and present yourself as an MD in one and as a physio in the other. That being said, I have no idea how the College of Physicians feels about their members presenting themselves as anything other than physicians.

PM if you have any questions about PT.

Keep in mind that practicing physio while in clerkship and residency is going to be exceptionally difficult. You have to practice a certain number of hours per year to maintain your registration. So you may be out of practice for 7 years between pre-clerskship and re-establishing yourself as a physio.

Basically, the reason why I want to pursue a physiotherapy degree is because my family/friends have a business which they would like me to be involved with. For this I would need to have a physiotherapy degree. In addition, I would like to pursue a specialty that is completely unrelated.

Also, I just finished first year meds right now. So in order to get the physiotherapy degree, I would need to put meds on hiatus for 2 years.

So the question is can anyone point to any major pitfalls to this route? Any advice?

So the question is can anyone point to any major pitfalls to this route? Any advice?

Some of the best advice I've heard from an attending physician is that no matter what field you practice in, you'll have more than enough money. What you won't have enough of, as a physician, is free time.

It's your business if you want to try and practice PT "on the side". Just keep in mind that there might not be much "side", even if you go into anaes or ophtho.

Well because I want to pursue a different MD specialty. I hope to work as both a physician in a different field, but also practice physiotherapy on the side.

but I think you are dreaming in technicolour for so many reasons. You don't like Jochi's suggestion and want another field. I suggest that you clone yourself lol and off to the races. Do one first, get it out of your system and then switch careers. Good luck!

Basically, the reason why I want to pursue a physiotherapy degree is because my family/friends have a business which they would like me to be involved with. For this I would need to have a physiotherapy degree. In addition, I would like to pursue a specialty that is completely unrelated.

Also, I just finished first year meds right now. So in order to get the physiotherapy degree, I would need to put meds on hiatus for 2 years.

does your school have a phd md/msc md program? Seems like an approach that would let you get the grad work in. In your case you probably couldn't do the grad work you want in residency because you want to work in an unrelated specialization.

Archived