Premed 101 Forums

applying early to the states

I was just wondering how early is "early" for the states. I'm planning to finish my application by the end of June, is that early enough?

my gpa is 79%, latest DAT scores are:

RCOMP 20

BIO 17

CHEM 15

ST 16

AA 17

PAT 21

Carving 22

honestly, not to be rude, but unless you are a dual citizen, most schools will automatically reject you with a 15-16 in any section.. you should really consider retaking the DAT... you can take the american one at any time during the year and get your scores immediately after

but early = no later than june

if you applied early june, you might here from a couple of places in mid august about interviews... if you applied the end of june, end of september from the earliest ones

it varies for every school though, some don't get started until later in the cycle

I think that is still pretty early. I think anything before september is still relatively early. What is a 79% in terms of gpa on a 4.0 scale?

It's probably around a 3.7, that's pretty good for American schools, but I still feel that as Canadians we aren't competing versus American schools, but instead the other Canadian applicants. The American schools know that our GPA grading scheme is 'different' - to say the least - from their scales, so they can't compare us fairly to their citizens. That's just my opinion though.

yes i realise that my DAT scores aren't very good, I'm hoping my gpa/references/essay might help.. do i have a decent chance? I'm not a us citizen

I think you have fairly good chance at American schools with 3.7 GPA. Stress on your essays to compensate for your DAT and definitely apply in June. Don't delay!

Archived