Premed 101 Forums

Israeli medical schools

• 6 months later...

The US takes a lot of IMGs and this forum is correct that the Israeli schools have a great reputation and match record in the US.

Canadians may struggle a bit more than Amercians applying to the US for residency as double red flag applicants (foreign school and visa requirements).  But it's certainly not impossible. You just won't be as competitive as an American citizen and therefore program/location choice may suffer.

Applying to Canadian residency as an IMG from anywhere is notoriously difficult--50% success rate est. from Ireland which has had the most successful matches historically.  The Israeli schools may have an equal or better match rate in Canada; but the overall number of students is much lower. I never met one resident from an Israeli program in 5 years at one Ontario University.  Canadian programs don't step outside of their comfort zone or take chances without a very good reason.  I'm worried that going to an Israeli school would make a Canadian residency difficult if not impossible to obtain.

I'm open to correction if there are any CSA students who successfully matched in Canada from Israel and dont mind sharing their experiences. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 3:14 AM, jnuts said:

The US takes a lot of IMGs and this forum is correct that the Israeli schools have a great reputation and match record in the US.

Canadians may struggle a bit more than Amercians applying to the US for residency as double red flag applicants (foreign school and visa requirements).  But it's certainly not impossible. You just won't be as competitive as an American citizen and therefore program/location choice may suffer.

Applying to Canadian residency as an IMG from anywhere is notoriously difficult--50% success rate est. from Ireland which has had the most successful matches historically.  The Israeli schools may have an equal or better match rate in Canada; but the overall number of students is much lower. I never met one resident from an Israeli program in 5 years at one Ontario University.  Canadian programs don't step outside of their comfort zone or take chances without a very good reason.  I'm worried that going to an Israeli school would make a Canadian residency difficult if not impossible to obtain.

I'm open to correction if there are any CSA students who successfully matched in Canada from Israel and dont mind sharing their experiences. 

I have many colleagues that trained in Israel and then continued to do residency in Canada. Keep in mind very few Canadians study in Israel. I studied in Israel and I interviewed in Canada for residency. I ended up not ranking any Canadian program and preferred the US match as I interviewed at about 16 programs in the US and I preferred my options down there. I did notice that I got a lot of love from some of the best hospitals in the New York area. 

Keep in mind, studying in Israel can be a fraction of the cost compared to many other destinations.