Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to do Honors Major in Physiology at Western?

I really want to go to Western and get a Bachelors of Medical Sciences degree...I'm especially interested in the Physiology module that they offer. However, I want to get an honors degree; is it possible to do an honors major in physiology? I don't want to do an honors specialization. Western's website is rather unclear in this matter.

I really want to go to Western and get a Bachelors of Medical Sciences degree...I'm especially interested in the Physiology module that they offer. However, I want to get an honors degree; is it possible to do an honors major in physiology? I don't want to do an honors specialization. Western's website is rather unclear in this matter.

There's only two ways to get an honours degree. First, you can do an honours specialiation.. I'm not sure what it is about it that does not appeal to you, but this is the route most people tend to go.

Alternatively, you can do a double major. In order to get a BMSc degree by doing a double major, you would need to do two majors in the Medical Science faculty (i.e. major in Physiology + major in Biochemistry). You can also do one major in medical science and another in the faculty of science (i.e. major in Physiology + major in Biology) but this will result in a BSc degree (it is not considered part of the Medical Sciences program).

Honestly, you just asked this a few days ago in its own separate thread.

You cannot do an "honors major in physiology;" you must either take the specialization module or complete a double major. If the idea of completing a thesis is proving so averse to you, you can avoid this by taking majors in two related or separate fields.

Edit: But I recommend the thesis course, as it is immeasurably helpful in the long run.

Archived