Premed 101 Forums

Ok, I have finally started looking into housing full force for london, and I have to admit I feel complete confused and am looking for a bit of advice. Seems I have a billion questions - Is it better to have a place near to the university or closer to a hospital where we might be doing activities? Is the bus system pretty good - the housing site divides everything up into regions that don't mean much to me (old north, near east.....) - are any of these areas poor choices? Some of the leases are for 12 months, do most students spend significant amounts of time in London in the first summer?

Any suggestions would be helpful here :)

You're going to get many opinions, here's mine :D

"Is it better to have a place near to the university or closer to a hospital where we might be doing activities?"

- There is more than one hospital in London, so this is a tricky question. Google map University, St. Joseph's, South Street and Victoria Hospital

- University Hospital is attached to the Med School so if you're close to school, you're close to UH

- If you choose a place between Fanshawe and Dundas on Richmond you'll have easy bus access to school, UH, St. Joe's, South Street and may be able to get on a quick bus route to Vic

- Sarnia Rd. and Wonderland Rd north of Oxford and the roads coming off them are on a good bus route that has 3 buses running when the main campus is in session (less good during the summer and exams)

- close to school makes sense since you'll be having to get there for 8:30 every morning

"Is the bus system pretty good - the housing site divides everything up into regions that don't mean much to me (old north, near east.....) - are any of these areas poor choices?"

- The bus system is OK. If you're on a good route the bus is fantastic. Transfers aren't always fantastic. Many go through downtown over a few blocks (not as neat and tidy as in Guelph). I'm not sure that any areas are poor choices. I live in the south end (for my partner's job), found the buses unhelpful and ended up getting a car. Don't live down here.

"Some of the leases are for 12 months, do most students spend significant amounts of time in London in the first summer?"

I wouldn't say most students are here for the summer, but many do stick around. It's 2 months extra rent if you don't since classes end in June in first and second year.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hey Everyone,

I got in to mac a few weeks ago and am putting my place in London on the market. It is a large fully furnished basement room with its own bathroom and shower. It is located north of Sarnia Rd. and Wonderland Rd. and is 5 mins walk to a grocery store and mall. The bus comes right outside and like Darla said the bus system in London is pretty good (a bus pass is included in your tuition). I am looking for a responsible med student who will take care of the room.

Please PM me for more details!

Is it better to have a place near to the university or closer to a hospital where we might be doing activities? Is the bus system pretty good - the housing site divides everything up into regions that don't mean much to me (old north, near east.....) - are any of these areas poor choices? Some of the leases are for 12 months, do most students spend significant amounts of time in London in the first summer?

Any suggestions would be helpful here :)

For preclinical years, it's not a bad idea to get a place kinda near the university since that's where you'll be spending most of your time. In first year a lot of people live near Masonville or along Richmond north of the university. Some wind up sticking around those areas for the duration. Others found places a little farther away once they were more familiar with the city.

I dunno about the bus system, as I had a car.

Avoid East of Adelaide. There aren't any parts of London that are really sketchy, but EoA comes closest.

I'd say about a third of my class stayed in London the summer after first year, for either research, clinical experience or just 'cuz that's where they lived.

Archived