Premed 101 Forums

MOTP Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected

No, that is news to me. As of July 1st, LOL is that why they dragged out this process for ever. That is a significant piece of information though, thanks.

Yeah. She just off-handedly mentioned it.

(I'm in Quebec, learning French, so I'm not 100% fluent, and I've been doing most of my application and stuff to MOTP in French, so I was speaking to her in French at this time as well)

"Okay, and there is no sign-up bonus for this program..."

"Uh... Yes? I believe there is a FORTY THOUSAND DOLLAR sign-up bonus?"

"Oh, no. As of the 1st of July, they removed the sign-up bonus from the MOTP program."

"......oh....."

"...does that change your interest in signing up with the MOTP?"

"...no I don't think so, but that's a pretty surprising piece of information to learn today."

Considering I had an interview on July 7th, and I mentioned the signing bonus, and the interviewer said "Yep."

If you look online, apparently they don't even have the huge $225,000 signup bonus for full physicians!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they may regret that about the bonuses. Obviously not for this year, but it really is something that gets people's attention.

I am just starting med school. I am thinking everything happens for a reason and I maybe I would not be happy with family med anyway.

Anyways, it might come a time when they are desperate again. When I applied this year i was under the impression they were in dire need of physicians. Obviously, no longer the case.

Hmmm news to me. I spoke with the file manager about the signing bonus on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. I would have thought they would have said "no, that isn't offered this year," and not "you'll get your bonus in two weeks."

I wonder if she didn't know better. She didn't seem too authoritative on it. It seems like it'd take effect AFTER our applicant cycle, since we ALL applied assuming it was on there. I'm going to call the people in Ottawa next week and say "I've heard from someone else accepted in MOTP that they're receiving their sign-up bonus in several weeks, but I was told by an officer at my recruitment centre that there is no longer a bonus. What gives!"

I wonder if she didn't know better. She didn't seem too authoritative on it. It seems like it'd take effect AFTER our applicant cycle, since we ALL applied assuming it was on there. I'm going to call the people in Ottawa next week and say "I've heard from someone else accepted in MOTP that they're receiving their sign-up bonus in several weeks, but I was told by an officer at my recruitment centre that there is no longer a bonus. What gives!"

Yeah, for sure. Let us know what happens with that and if the bonuses is no longer offered?

Haha and Superking25 you ruined my day; Today I put in an offer on a house anticipating a $40 000 bonus to pad the blow.

Let's look at this objectively: The document with the signing bonus is still out there: http://www.forces.ca/media/pdf/MOTP_en.pdf

And we ALL thought we were getting this bonus; and I heard twice this week that I would get it.

I also applied and was interviewed before July 1st (although heard on the 14th)

The logical answer is that they are establising a cut-off for next year....

(However, the military isn't always logical)

Haha and Superking25 you ruined my day; Today I put in an offer on a house anticipating a $40 000 bonus to pad the blow.

Let's look at this objectively: The document with the signing bonus is still out there: http://www.forces.ca/media/pdf/MOTP_en.pdf

And we ALL thought we were getting this bonus; and I heard twice this week that I would get it.

I also applied and was interviewed before July 1st (although heard on the 14th)

The logical answer is that they are establising a cut-off for next year....

(However, the military isn't always logical)

I counter your .pdf link with THIS http://www.forces.ca/html/medicalofficer_reg_en.aspx and the fact that I wanted to use my signing bonus as a future house down payment too :(. I wonder if for you it was because your stuff was all done before July 1st. I submitted my application before July 1st, but didn't do my aptitude/medical/interview until July 6th/7th.

NOONE mentioned "Oh, by the way, you heard there is no signing bonus now, right?". As well, I mentioned the signing bonus specifically in my interview, and he nodded along and said "Yes that's right".

I hope this isn't how it starts... ::confused:

The website was last modified today... :(

I am saddened by your .pdf.....

The date modified at the bottom of the site is today......

ugggh....cross your fingers it means next year!

(Yours was the .pdf, mine is just the website). If they already told you you're getting it, and they pull it out from under you, I'd raise hell. Now I'm just worried that I didn't get my application fully submitted by July 1, and also you and your RESERVES make me question how equal it is. (I don't know what kind of fancy benefits reserves people get that I don't :()

Everybody has to understand that the military is just like every other branch of government, it is poorly run from an administrative and logical point of view. I could honestly write a book about the inadequacies and money wasted by the military, but that is not my purpose.

You see the military does what the military does best, they plan for the short term and never make any decisions based on long term goals. They use band aid solutions as a solution to what really is a bleeding artery. The military first started it's aggressive physician recruitment program somewhere around 2001/2002. I don't know the specifics obviously, but the initiative was started by LCol Randy Russell 7 or 8 years ago. You can have a read about him:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/rec/phys-med/mmtpti-pmemci-eng.asp

This is when the MMTP came into light (it's actually been around for awhile), but the CF only began purchasing seats at the 4 schools back a few years back (Dal, uOttawa, Queen's, Manitoba). Maybe there are more schools now. My friend was part of the first class for MMTP at Dal, he is finished residency now and is posted to Ottawa. You know there wasn't even enough applicants to fill the spots at Ottawa the military had purchased. Now basically the entire CF is aware of the MMTP and they all want to go to med school, so there are huge number of applicants for a few spots, on par with regular competition that the civilian world goes through. Little do they realize that the CF is thinking about canceling these seats each year, although they have extended it to the 2009-2010 application cycle, it certainly isn't something that is going to be around forever.

Back to my original point about the inefficiencies of the CF. So they put in this huge recruiting drive 6 or 7 years ago, opening all these doors for physicians, and now they have their quota for family docs in the military. By the time everyone graduates, they will have completed their initiative. Basically the CF is mandated to have so many medical officer positions and they will all be filled in the next few years, so that is my guess as to why they are no longer offering these bonuses, simply because they don't have to. The inefficient part comes now in 15 or 20 years when they realize all these doctors they have recruited aren't all going to stay in the forces, they will do their obligatory time and get out. A small portion will stay in but most will leave and that is purely an empirical result based on physician shortages in the past.

And guess what? They are left with a shortage again. It's like a feast or famine thing, there is no middle ground where they can retain a constant amount of physicians. You may think my comments have no basis, but I can assure you this happens on a regular basis with many other trades. Remember in the mid 90s when the military felt they had too many personnel for some trades, so they bought out the rest of their contracts and all these highly qualified people retired with full pensions. Guess what happened a few years later? These same trades were suffering a significant shortage of qualified personnel, so the military turned around and rehired all the same people they bought out.

Personally if they didn't offer you any money, there is no way I would join. The red tape and bureaucracy is enough to deter anybody. It has it's good points and bad points, it's up to you to weigh them and make an informed decision. My advice to you is the following:

Try to contact some MMTP/MOTP students and get their opinions. DO NOT listen to recruiters, they are honestly some of the most unqualified people in the CF. Most of them don't know **** to be perfectly honest. They will tell you anything to get you to join.

So I posted an old .pdf which is this: http://www.forces.ca/media/pdf/MOTP_en.pdf

The website above directs you to this .pdf:

http://www.forces.ca/media/_pdf/MOTP_en.pdf (note the difference of the underscore)

The old one addresses the signing bonus on section 4 under compensation.

The new one has the signing bonus deleted from section 4.

However, the really funny part is that BOTH of them say that a signing bonus is received by MOTP students in section 2. So it just goes to show that someone quickly deleted the signing bonus info today and missed reading section 2.

All that being said, I believe that the signing bonus will be offered this year, (potentially only to some candidates? Although I'm not sure how that would be decided since everyone believed they were getting one). Since the .pdf was updated on the website today, I am thinking that the military is just not offering them in the future. The decisions were made this week, everyone was contacted, and now that the next cycle begins the word needs to go out that the bonuses are canceled. It would hardly be justifiable to sign everyone up, then the week before they sign the dotted line, change all the conditions.

All that being said, I'm still going to call Monday morning. : )

So I posted an old .pdf which is this: http://www.forces.ca/media/pdf/MOTP_en.pdf

The website above directs you to this .pdf:

http://www.forces.ca/media/_pdf/MOTP_en.pdf (note the difference of the underscore)

The old one addresses the signing bonus on section 4 under compensation.

The new one has the signing bonus deleted from section 4.

However, the really funny part is that BOTH of them say that a signing bonus is received by MOTP students in section 2. So it just goes to show that someone quickly deleted the signing bonus info today and missed reading section 2.

All that being said, I believe that the signing bonus will be offered this year, (potentially only to some candidates? Although I'm not sure how that would be decided since everyone believed they were getting one). Since the .pdf was updated on the website today, I am thinking that the military is just not offering them in the future. The decisions were made this week, everyone was contacted, and now that the next cycle begins the word needs to go out that the bonuses are canceled. It would hardly be justifiable to sign everyone up, then the week before they sign the dotted line, change all the conditions.

All that being said, I'm still going to call Monday morning. : )

Wow. good job Medgoal. Also, another point is they do not know that we are communicating.

It would be total bullsh#@ if one of you gets offered the bonus and other one does not since the selection board for everyone was on Monday the 13th of July. There were many applicants and they might just go down the list seeing who will join without the bonus and who will not.

Of course the recruiter could have just made a mistake and this is for next year.

Wow. good job Medgoal. Also, another point is they do not know that we are communicating.

It would be total bullsh#@ if one of you gets offered the bonus and other one does not since the selection board for everyone was on Monday the 13th of July. There were many applicants and they might just go down the list seeing who will join without the bonus and who will not.

Of course the recruiter could have just made a mistake and this is for next year.

Check your PMs if you didn't notice. I'm getting a fairly reasonable feeling that this woman was reading off a sheet/off the computer and wasn't 100% sure on the program. Unfortunately we now have to wait until Monday to know whats up. Ugh, this will be a long, thoughtful weekend at work.

Regarding this bonus issue, if you haven't signed any contract where it specifically states they are giving you a signing bonus, then they legally aren't liable for anything. In regards to them offering certain people bonuses and not others, it wouldn't surprise me.

PS can we get an MOTP forum on here? Instead of just random questions in thread format, would it be possible to have our own discussion board?

Who would we ask? lol

For any of you that have facebook (which I'm sure is most of us in this day and age!) there is a Military Med Student Group (you can find it under the name of Canadian Military Medical Students) that might help you out!

I feel I should also add one of the major upsides of doing military medicine. When it comes time for residency, we go through the normal CaRMS cycle, but our applications for FM aren't looked upon in the same way as civilians. Because we already have 2 years of full funding for our residency we program, we are not taking up a funding spot that is allocated to a school, so we can 'unofficially' choose any family medicine program in the country that we would like to attend and chances are our application will be accepted for the reason stated above.

I know that document says that after 3 or 4 years you can do an internal match with other CF members to compete for funding in the 6 specialties the CF funds. Well typically this can be done after 1-2 years if you perform well, and the good news is the funding works the same as family medicine. We have 5 years of funding, so if you are accepted in the CF specialty training, you can essentially shop around with your 5 years of funding and walk straight into something like a radiology program without competing with all the other CaRMS applicants. I thought this was a good point. If you are doing this though, you are essentially a lifer.

It isn't a bad deal when you think about it, work 37.5 hrs a week, no call, no overhead, you can moonlight for extra money if you want, and after 25 years you can retired with a full pension of the 55% average of your 5 best years of salary. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 55% at 25 years. So you can get a pension of over 100K a year for the rest of your life and practice in the civilian world if you want to continue medicine, and you're still only in your late 40s/ early 50s.

OK scratch that. One person i talked to said that that the bonuses were good for this application, the other one said only those who applied before July 1st so i do not know. let me know as i am curious to find out what happens to the ones who were accepted.

Captain Johnston said the recruiting bonuses are canceled, however that only applies to people applying now. She said I would get the bonus. I interpret her email to mean this application cycle is safe, but I have no idea about the July 1st thing. Sorry I didn't get more info!

What a fun and seemingly VERY long weekend that was! I talked to Major Gagnon today in Ottawa who said that applicants that are accepted for this cycle are grandfathered in, and WILL receive the bonus. I called back my local CFRC and was told that my file manager received an email saying that yes, all accepted applicants will receive the bonus this time around.

I am hoping for good news for our waitlisters on here!

Archived