Premed 101 Forums

MOTP Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected

I feel I should also add one of the major upsides of doing military medicine. When it comes time for residency, we go through the normal CaRMS cycle, but our applications for FM aren't looked upon in the same way as civilians. Because we already have 2 years of full funding for our residency we program, we are not taking up a funding spot that is allocated to a school, so we can 'unofficially' choose any family medicine program in the country that we would like to attend and chances are our application will be accepted for the reason stated above.

I would be careful here. A close friend of mine is MOTP and did not get accepted to the family medicine program/location of his choice...

My impression from him is that there are a designated number of MOTP spots in each family med program and thus, just like other CaRMS spots, the competitiveness of each location varies with the applicant pool each year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Jewel is right. Talk to some of the docs and they'll tell you that they may have done their residency in the location of their choice, but then they were posted to Shiloh Manitoba!! ( i don't even know where that is)

Does anyone know how the current flux of applicants to MOTP will affect people wanting to join up with the Reserve Force as a medical officer? I assume it won't because 80%+ will be getting out after 4 yrs but what do others think?

Just to take a stab at your question boodog, since I'm not completely 100% sure of the answer myself. Just like any other occupation in the CF, your desire to hold a job is largely dependent on location and demand. Reserve MOs are posted to reserve units so long as there is a need for them. In this manner, the future demand is probably much the same as the demand today - it is very much location-dependent varying from one part of the country to the next. Popular locations located close to urban centers have a steady supply of interested MOs willing to work there. It is more of a challenge to find people in more rural or unpopular locations.

Now, I have met a few reserve MOs who used to be reg-force MOs that decided to transfer to the Reserves to continue with their CF involvement on a part-time basis upon the termination of their obligatory service or after they were eligible for a full pension. With their now being a larger cohort of reg-force MOs than ever before, it only stands that more will inevitably want to transfer down the road. Thus, to answer your question, if you are hoping to land a spot in an urban area (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal), things will only get tougher. If you happen to live in an underserviced area like today, they'll be more than happy to have you.

Archived