Premed 101 Forums

Honours Science?

Hi,

I’m a first year cegep student (waiting to star my semester this fall actually) and I was just wondering if u guys have any thoughts about the honors science program (at marianopolis college)… I mean how will this impact my studies, time, etc. - is it really an enriching activity that provides interdisciplinary perspective on science in general, “as well as an excellent preparation for university study in most health science, pure science or engineering programs”. Or (emphasize on “or”), conversely, am I just asking for trouble here?

PS: I was attending an IB high school so I have been taking enriched courses for a large part of my life… but I also think that this really had a told on my overall average (just 87-91... it's an approximation… too scare to calculate it for real lol…but I’m sure that it could be a lot more if I had less subjects and more time to study them- or if I didn’t procrastinated so much :D )… on the other hand, I have no point of comparison… so up to this point, I don’t even, base on my average; performance;etc. , how competitive I really am…

So basically, my question is: will an honors science program improve my chances to be accepted in med, med-p… (if yes, at what cost?) and how difficult is it(honors science… or cegep in general for that matter… in contrast to the international bac.)? And i was told that some med schools (like Mcgill) check ur high school grades, is this really truth and, if it is, will having a few low grades affect their decision?

Oh, and any tips... advices on college, etc would also be highly appreciated?

tks so much for helping

I doubt McGill checks your high school marks. (Do they even have access to that information?)

The honours science program at Marianopolis is an excellent program. But is it really for you?

If you are confident in your abilities to perform better than other students; if you tend to put more emphasis on your academic life than on your social/extracurricular life, then the answer would be yes.

On the other hand, if you tend to be engaged in various extraccurilar activities such as sport teams, music, etc., then maybe the honours science is not the best option for you.

I don't really think the honours program is more difficult. In fact, if you are confident that you will be the best, I think you will achieve a better R score in honours science. It really depends on your interests.

Thanks for the advice, but can u clarify this statement?

If you are confident in your abilities to perform better than other students; if you tend to put more emphasis on your academic life than on your social/extracurricular life, then the answer would be yes.

i mean isn’t focusing on the academics instead of the extracurricular/volunteering/… a bad thing in a way that it sends the wrong message when applying in medicine… and isn’t honours science already an extra curricular activity?

Oh… one more thing: how’s the workload/activities/requirements and will it actually help me get into medical schools in the first place?

Thanks for the advice, but can u clarify this statement?

i mean isn’t focusing on the academics instead of the extracurricular/volunteering/… a bad thing in a way that it sends the wrong message when applying in medicine… and isn’t honours science already an extra curricular activity?

Oh… one more thing: how’s the workload/activities/requirements and will it actually help me get into medical schools in the first place?

To my understanding, honours science is not an extracurricular activity. It is academic. Extracurricular would be something that does not contribute to your academics (sports, or student societies for example, or part-time jobs for example).

Secondly, no med schools (including McGill) look at high school marks. How you did in high school is completely irrelavent to your med application.

Also, although it is important to have extra-curriculars, it is more important to have academics for med school apps. Extracurriculars supplement your academic record. There are strict GPA cut-offs that you must meet, whereas there are no min requirements for extracurriculars. You can have all the extracurriculars in the world, but if you dont meet the GPA cut off, your application doesnt even get looked at. This is not to say however that extracurriculars are not important; just that they only help if you have the GPA.

Archived